ESPN Layoffs

Discussion in 'Sports' started by lylsmorr, Apr 26, 2017.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Werder to NFL Network? I bet Stark will be at MLB Network or Fox Sports by midnight.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Switch to streaming only subscription service and profit, imo. Could cover a lot with less people that way

3. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

They're going all in on "hot takes."

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I'm curious how the numbers would shake out and what the price point would be. Obviously they'd never get remotely close to the number of subscribers that they had on cable.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That will cost them. Would be interested to see the ratings on ESPNews v. ESPN in about a year's time.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Saw about 10 minutes of the new 6 o'clock sportscenter and wanted to drill it out of my brain.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I actually like Smith and Hill, but that show is ****ing brutal. How many more Around the PTIs do we need?

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

PTI is the only show I like on ESPN that doesn't involve live sports. All the other re-hashes of that show are and I don't bother with it.

is the SECNetwork money tied with ESPN? I wonder what this will do for college sports coffers in the future?

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Only 1. ESPN has really boned itself with programming. They cut some really good journalists

10. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

And in the grand scheme of things the cuts make no difference, it's a drop in the bucket.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

They've made a lot of bad business decisions overpaying for stuff. The number of people cord cutting is killing them.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That and it went from witty smart ass comments about sports to taking a bit of a SJW platform through sports.

13. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Droski was right. Fewer people are watching cable and their more famous personalities are also more expensive. I think those are the main issues, not politics

14. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Live sports were the main thing people liked on ESPN, and now live sports are all over the Internet. Good luck

15. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Austin Ward. Wasn't he a local guy?

16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Without live sports, a bunch more people are canceling cable. They should try to find out how to air more. And to be honest, air more sports people actually care about. Maybe figure out the contracts so they can air more NBA and MLB games and less women's basketball?

17. GahLee

Whoa....and here I thought I was a sexist.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

ESPN also turned away viewers by bringing in the social justice bit. They had a monopoly on one of the biggest entertainment industries in the country, but lost their lustre.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Hardly any of those games are as entertaining and men's basketball. Is it really sexist to say that?

20. GahLee

I think so.