Evan, Cam, Trevor & AK

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by zero-sum, Oct 29, 2015.

1. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

are currently in FBS' Top 10 for ...

KOR's = EB #1, avg'g 36.8 yds/ on 17

KOR's for TD = EB #3 w/ 2

PR's = Cam #10, avg'g 14.9yds/ on 12

PR's for TD = AK #3 (tie), returning one of five punts for a TD

Punts = Trevor #4, avg'g 47yds/ on 37 punts

Nice job, fellas!

Five maybe six gms remain be interesting to see where they finish. A little trivia, when was the last time Tennessee finished (the season) with a player ranked in the Top 10 of each of these cat's?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I always find yards per kick for a punter to be a weird stat, and doesn't tell the whole picture. It is hard to quanitify a great punter sometimes, but I think Daniels is one of if not the best in the country. That kick during the UGA game was the best punt I have ever seen, hands down.

3. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

4. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Net yards/kick and punts inside the 20/10 are much more telling than yds/kick.

5. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Minus the FG challenges, it is great to see strong special teams play again. We were in ST purgatory for way too long; credit where it's due.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'd like to see the staff try to utilize Evan Berry on the offensive side of the ball since he doesn't seem to be making an impact on defense right now. I know that's unrealistic given our staffs inability to utilize guys that are already on offense,but just a thought.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

And I hate to give up on medley for the future, if he can sort himself out. Huge leg

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We've seen other guys pull it together to become good kickers here. I think he'll be fine, but I'd go ahead and rearrange my decision-making a bit for this year in regards to kicks over 40 yards.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

As to the OP, special teams has been pretty solid for the entire Butch Jones tenure. He's done a good job there. It wasn't that long ago (2010, I think) we literally couldn't find a guy to return punts.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree. It's nearly all mental.

The guy from Oregon State, Serna I think, that missed a bunch of field goals against LSU in 03 or 04, ended up winning the Groza award a few years later.

Lincoln and Palardy sucked at times too.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Somebody on the radio was actually saying that Wilhoit was only 1 field goal better his senior season than Medley is for this season.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

same

13. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

His placement, for the most part, has been outstanding

14. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Pinning the opponent inside the 20, definitely, but Net yds/punt not so much, could be one helluva kick but if the coverage is poor ... eh

15. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Medley will eventually straighten himself out. I more concerned about Butch putting him those no win situations and him falling further down the hole.

16. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Leg strength's there, accuracy ... he's been oh, so close. Timing

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes, sending him out for that third FG attempt Saturday was damn near criminal.

18. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

It's telling when taking gross yds/kick into account. A good punter forces more fair catches than not.

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Trevor absolutely deserves to be on scholarship after the year he's had - if only for the punt versus UGA.

That punt could not have been better, or more directly and positively impacted that game.

20. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yep, accuracy, hang time, and not out kicking your coverage