POLITICS Fake News

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I define “fake news” as being anything that is obviously false, misleading, overly-biased, less than forthright, egregiously errant or which wouldn’t otherwise doesn’t meet the basic tenets of good and ethical journalism, whether intentional or not.

That opening post - a CNN political analyst publicly reporting a completely fabricated conversation - is exactly fake news.

It is textbook fake news.

Memes can be fake news, I guess, but only if it meets the aforementioned definition, including that it’s being legitimately purported as fake news.

I agree that someone being so dumb as to mistake what is obviously satire or hyperbole for “news” is not, in and of itself, fake news.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It’s fair to isolate fake news to reporting passed off as actual news. I’ll just lump the meme contagion of lies as propaganda then. Probably mostly Russian.

Do you think this analyst was trying to pass this off as news?

3. Tenacious D

Yes, he absolutely did, as he only added the second bit after others started calling him out on the first & fictitious conversation.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

If so then it’s chicken shit and I agree.

Honestly it sounded so dumb when I read it I assumed he was just trolling as an obvious technique to make a political observation.

justingroves likes this.
  5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not so much fake news, but I’m sure everyone will enjoy:

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

hard to take the butt-hurt seriously when they are talking about a guy who insults everyone, gives them nicknames, calls them stupid, etc. Re-elected or not.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They are talking about American voters that voted for a guy they don’t like.

Did you not watch it? Basically correlated stupidity, Trump support, and Southern accents.

Tenacious D likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

kpt, how many times have liberals on just this website been called stupid? I can think of at least once today alone.

[uck fay]ing snow flakes, right? And here I thought "[uck fay] your feelings" was already written.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

There's also this.

11. Tenacious D

It’s the difference between being stupid on one thing, and in one aspect, versus being stupid, just in general, and to such a degree as to be unworthy.

I don’t complain, as I nearly relish encountering those who underestimate me as much as I delight in those who overestimate themselves and the certainties of their positions. The more outlandish the better, in each.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

This is the news network that supposed to be so unbiased while Fox News is Faux News propaganda.

This website is not relevant to the discussion.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

it was a guest on an opinion show.

A conservative guest, by the way.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It was the entire panel. The host was wiping tears of laughter.

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

His inability to see anything without his political slant is fd up.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

his "U" and "crane" was a joke, and it tickled him.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The Most Trusted Name in "News"

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Joke was confusing. Did he mean the construction equipment or the bird? Because I’d say a lot of people wouldn’t recognize the bird. And that bird probably isn’t even found in the Ukraine. That’s not how cartography works.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I struggle to understand how people can fail to see the problem with that video or the "deplorables" comment. It's not that people are offended by it. It says more about the people making the comments than it does the people being commented on. You (Hillary, Don Lemon, etc.) don't understand a large part of the population of this country, nor do you understand that a lot of Trump supporters have legitimate reasons for supporting him that can't be washed away by just calling those people morons or racists.

Yet they've convinced themselves that anyone who supports Trump is an imbecile or white supremacist, rather than trying to understand them or see their viewpoints. That's why they're going to lose. Again. You can't always jump to the conclusion that the people who disagree with you are stupid or racist. At some point, you have to step back and try to understand why they believe what they believe and follow who they follow.