Ferguson, MO

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Aug 14, 2014.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Absolutely, still reminds me of college

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I never dropped below Bud Light. Even then I had some standards.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

You've still failed to even put forth an argument of how it would increase drug use at all. You're now also conveniently using an argument about it affecting the weakest, while ignoring that the EXACT SAME THING happens with incarceration for drug use now. You're waaaaayyy off on this. There isn't a thread of logic occurring, but rather the repeating of preconceptions and emotional appeals that actually only serve to undermine your position given that the examples all occurred after decades of "the war on drugs."

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

While I have considerably softened on the ACLU, and it's role in the recent past, from my earlier despisement to a begrudged understanding, and in rare cases, respect....I will say that you grotesquely overestimate their strength.

And even so - I don't want them hamstrung - challenge everything in court, baby. That's what it's there for. And if they win, respect it and amend the law.

But to believe that any body of lawmakers fear the passage of legislation and an ACLU challenge is naive, at best.

Do you realize that right now, in Louisiana (IIRC) that police can simply take your cash, right in the spot, simply by alleging the belief that it might be somehow related to a drug trade? That's as ridiculous as an example as I can come up with, and guess what? The ACLU hasn't yet even caused that law any serious concern.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nah, this war on drugs is totally working. Without it, we'd have to scrape cocaine off our cars in the morning and build heroine ditches to get all the black tar out of the city.

6. CardinalVol

LA? A lawyer buddy of mine is fighting the same fight against TN right now, and this is even after the local PD realized that nothing was amiss and dropped all charges.

7. Tenacious D

And the baby on the hip, wearing only a diaper, and while screaming at their toddler that they don't have money for a sucker.

Damned 1%ers!

8. CardinalVol

Agreed, let's jsut treat it like we have the war on poverty. Keep current course and double down with money.

Interesting, almost like the two are connected.

9. CardinalVol

Usually I just see the girzzled 45 year old men that go out and get in their 89 Datsun pickup. Don't see the women.

10. Tenacious D

Someone has dared to disagree with the mods, and I've went all VN on its ass. You ask me any more question about it, and you might just get banned. So, watch yo' self.

Edit: it's not showing locked for me, nor is it.

11. CardinalVol

I dunno, it showed locked, so I unlocked it. Guessing butt-lock.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We're wasting money on both for sure

13. OrangeEmpire

Poor has no standards

;)

14. OrangeEmpire

Virginia seizes cash and puts it into an account

15. OrangeEmpire

Of course they are

16. CardinalVol

Twas why I worked my butt off during summers.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you need to make an argument as to how having something more easily available could possibly not increase drug usage.

this is what happened during prohibition:

We find that alcohol consumption fell sharply at the beginning of Prohibition, to approximately 30 percent of its pre-Prohibition level. During the next several years, however, alcohol consumption increased sharply, to about 60-70 percent of its pre-prohibition level. The level of consumption was virtually the same immediately after Prohibition as during the latter part of Prohibition, although consumption increased to approximately its pre-Prohibition level during the subsequent decade.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w3675

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I already said Portugal provides an example of what happens after decriminalization. Usage went down.

19. CardinalVol

Assumes demographics and such correlate between us and Portugal, which I'd argue they don't at all.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

decriminalization is not the same thing as making it legal. i'm fully in favor of decriminalization.