Final remains

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kptvol, Nov 3, 2011.

?

What Happens When You Kick It?

1. Standard Burial

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Cremation

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Donate to science

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Body Farm

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Funeral Pyre

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

beautiful

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Huge to the point of ridiculous.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I like the tossing on a bammer idea.

I think cremation has gotten more popular due to the end of the Catholic belief that cremation could threaten/complicate one's resurrection when Jesus returns. In the last 150 years, Christian theology has shifted away from that. Secular folks also just plain find cremation appealing in it's efficiency and romantic nature. And let's face it, the whole Western World is much more secular than has been for the last 1700 years.

That being said, I would also consider donating my body to science-- certainly all my organs. Although getting cryogenically frozen in the hopes of being "restored" at a later date is also an adventurous out.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I'm an organ donor, which means should I end up brain dead, knock yourself out. But if you live beyond any reasonable age, your organs will likely be useless.

You can donate to the anatomy lab... though I'd never do it. You end up getting cremated in the end, though, so...

5. fl0at_

I'm an organ donor, which means should I end up brain dead, knock yourself out. But if you live beyond any reasonable age, your organs will likely be useless.

You can donate to the anatomy lab... though I'd never do it. You end up getting cremated in the end, though, so...

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Where's the prop me up beside the jukebox option?

7. USAF_Vol

USAF_Vol Super Mod / Defender of Freedom

Badass.

I want to be cremated and buried in a national cemetary with my free vet headstone. My wife and I can be buried together so whoever goes first has to carry the other around LOL.

I am an organ donor but want to keep my eyes. And specific instructions for them to remove my pancreas and have a surviving loved one smash that sonafa[itch bay] with a hammer without mercy.

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

You're certainly on to something, IP. My preference for burial centers on my Christian belief in a future bodily resurrection. I'm sympathetic to the argument for the cost of cremation v. burial. I still prefer burial, though--not becaues I believe that Christ couldn't raise a body of incinerated ashes, but because of what the practice says about a material eternal existence.

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Guy from my hometown fell in a wood chipper a few years ago at his place of employment. Rumor is only two things that were recognizable were his belt buckle and wedding band.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Going to have mine removed, preserved, and placed in a little case so my son can carry them around and say "I have my father's eyes."

tidwell likes this.
  11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ditto.

12. Some sort of modest mauseleum.

[​IMG]

13. MacReady

MacReady New Member

I don't really care what happens.

14. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

15. fl0at_

Diabetic? I was reading up on Arlington a few days ago. I don't qualify for burial. Stupid lack of silver star and/or purple heart, or as one of my old platoon brothers called it: "The I'm bad at my job medal."

I don't think I'll get inurned there, though. I don't want to live on Federal land.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

17. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

I guess I don't give a shit what happens to my body. I guess donate it to science or a body farm. Maybe have my ashes drank by my friends

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  18. USAF_Vol

USAF_Vol Super Mod / Defender of Freedom

Yes, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes Nov 2008 and the AF promptly removed me. I don't qualify for arlington but there are many national cemetaries vets can be buried.