Finally a good race at California

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JayVols, Mar 24, 2013.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I don't know if it's the new car or what, but there have been some good races so far this year. Bristol, while not old Bristol, was better too. I hope the NASCAR idiots in charge don't kill the passion shown today through fines. They could screw up an anvil with a rubber hammer. Hope Hamlin is ok. The Hamlin/Logano and now Stewart/Logano feuds could be interesting. I like Tony Stewart more and more every day. He reminds me of the older generation in an era of PC/PR corporate drivers. NASCAR desperately needs more like him imo.

2. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I agree with you 100 percent. It was nice to see the cares racing side by side again. I felt like the cot cars would get loose any time they got close together.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Tony Stewart is the biggest hypocrite in the NASCAR garage.

If I hear 'old Bristol' one more time my head may fvcking explode.

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I don't follow Nascar a whole lot, but did Stewart have a legitimate beef? I didn't understand why he was pissed. All Logano did was block. Also, apparently Stewart caused a big ass wreck at Talladega one year by blocking. Again, don't follow Nascar so I'm not sure, but if so it seems he's talking out of both sides of his mouth.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Stewart can do it, no one can do it to Stewart.

6. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Biggest difference is that there aren't restrictor plates at California. I would love to see Daytona and Talladega side by side racing again versus the big bang theory draft packs.

And yes, Bristol was far better in the past. It was better this spring, but still not like it was. It was stupid to **** with the track to begin with. The racing was fine and drivers knew what to expect there. So, exploding head be damned, Bristol was better the way it used to be.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It hasn't changed.

The car and tire has. It hasn't a god damn thing to do with the race track.

Not every race was the 1999 fall race. Terry Labonte wasn't getting wrecked on the final lap every year.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  8. JayVols

Dang dude. Folks do have different views.

9. JayVols

Not really. He does bring some excitement though.

10. JayVols

Bullshit. The car and tires have had effect, but the track changed as well. If it didn't Bruton Smith got fvcked out of millions when he "redid" the track.

So the car and tires alone allowed them to race against the wall? It''s just coincidence that happened all of a sudden after the progressive banking went in? I guess it was all the car and tires' fault that nearly half the seats have been empty there lately?

You don't have to act like an ass every time someone doesn't see things exactly like you do. Jesus.

11. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Just a lol at the evolution of this thread.

:)

12. JayVols

Really. There's been some good racing this year.

13. OrangeEmpire

I have enjoyed this year. My little ones love of commercials and racing got me into Nascar. He goes into full commercial mode when he sees a sponsor. It is the primary reason he loves Jimmy Johnson.

Ive worked the Richmond races the past several years and it is neat seeing every thing behind the scenes.

14. JayVols

The getting 50 sponsors in a 30 second interview is hilarious. The product placement is genius as well.

15. OrangeEmpire

Nascar is great about getting their product out.

Its a shame how many comp tickets go out and raceways are still empty.

The decline in Richmond has been massive.

16. JayVols

I'd like to catch a race at Richmond. I always liked that track.

17. OrangeEmpire

Fall race remind me and Ill see if I cant round up some tickets.

18. JayVols

Will do. Thanks.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Nearly half the seats at EVERY race track have been empty. So I refuse to believe a change in the track is responsible for the decline at Bristol. It's not a Bristol problem, it's a NASCAR problem.

I've been to probably 50 races at Bristol, Cup and Busch, and while that hardly qualifies me as an expert, it certainly has afforded me the opportunity to see races in 3 different decades. And probably another couple dozen at Talladega, Atlanta and Indianapolis on top of that.

I can say without a doubt the that COT was an absolute abomination. By far and away the worst racing at all the tracks, not just Bristol. And I can recall races at those tracks with tire issues too.

20. Exactly. It used to be almost impossible to get tickets to Bristol. Now, it's 70 and sunny and still barely 50k people show up for the Cup race. The side by side racing at Bristol is borderline unwatchable, and the last few years attendance proves that a lot of people agree. I realize that not every race is going to be Earnhardt/Labonte, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the most boring, least watched races have taken place since the track was resurfaced.