Finding a replacement coach next season = mess

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by TXA&M07, Oct 13, 2015.

1. TXA&M07

TXA&M07 New Member

Based purely on my own opinion:

Schools looking:

Texas
    SCAR
    SC
    Virginia
    Miami

Schools that should be looking:

Tennessee
    Kansas State
    UCF
    Iowa State

Schools with concern:

Oregon
    Texas Tech
    West Virginia

That is a ton of programs to compete with during a coaching search. Some of those were top 10 programs within the last 6 years.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I think Strong got out of the inferno Saturday. If they have a decent finish I think OU saves him this year.

3. TXA&M07

TXA&M07 New Member

If both UTs are naïve enough to take last weekends results as a sign to retain their head guy, there are some colossal levels of stupid taking place in the Athletic Departments.

4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

The way I look at it, and it's obviously what I want, but none of the schools would be in the running for the coach that I and most on here want, at least IMO. I think we can get Gruden if the circumstances are right (AD overhaul, give him what he wants, etc)

So it really doesn't matter.... if he's our only candidate. If there are others then who knows.

I think the most logical thing is to can Jones, get Gruden in here with a talented roster, and go to work. But that's just me

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

What should and what will...

You explained they why pretty well.

6. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Your point is...

7. TXA&M07

TXA&M07 New Member

My point is that there are multiple openings at programs with a far easier road to the Final 4 than what Tennessee has that can money whip the shit out of whoever they choose to.

If you guys land Gruden, it will only be because he WANTS to be at Tennessee.

8. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

Texas Tech? You think Ryan Gosling is leaving?

9. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Out of the top 9 you listed, only two have an easier route.

10. Tmac61

Tmac61 Has Credentials- Walter Effin Cronkite

I just don't see Lyle being shown the door after this season. Now if he is smart or if anyone person in the whole damn administration is smart, we will fix our makeshift coaching staff by bringing in legit sec level coaches, not more of Lyle's drinking buddies.

11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

It's hard for me to believe that the people in power really believe we can get Gruden based on the way things currently look. If they did, step one would be firing Hart and step two would be making sure Cheek doesn't do anything to interfere with the hiring process. Step three would be firing Butch after the Alabama loss. If they really know they can make this work, there's no way they just let this experiment play out any longer than they have to.

12. TXA&M07

TXA&M07 New Member

Think he's doing any good?

13. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

That or they may just he saying "forget it" after what happened last time, especially if the big money guys are on different sides as its been said.

I'm glad we beat UGA, but the win isn't going to push the door wide open for a change like it could have had they lost, dropped Bama and then lost to UK and/or Mizzou. I think we're stuck with Jones for a while now.

14. Would be shocked if Helfrich is out at Oregon

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he probably does get another year i'd imagine. though look at the remaining schedule. 6-6 or 7-5 IMO. this is as fanbase that delusionaly thinks they should be contending for NCs every year.

16. They are a bit delusional. Probably already scheming to get Chip Kelly back.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Oklahoma could very well be hiring

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they're going to fire stoops? stoops taking the usc job actually makes a lot of sense.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Amicable divorce most likely.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

more than a bit delusional. they sucked for eternity for a reason. phil's money have got them to a natural 8-4 team, but without an elite coach they won't do better than that in the future.