Firearm Enthusiasts Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by RockyHill, Aug 21, 2014.

1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

A good friend of mine said the same. He hog hunts with one too

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I just talked to one of my reenactment buddies. I was wrong. It's a 12 pounder howitzer not a 3 pounder. Don't know why I was thinking 3 pounder. That's even more BOOM! The mountain howitzers were designed to be broken down easily to be carried by 3 pack mules or large horse breeds like Belgians or Persherons. It was easier to do that than trying to pull them with an intact carriage with a team of horses over steep mountain passes and narrow mountain trails.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1841_Mountain_Howitzer,

[​IMG]

3. JayVols

They're a lot of fun. Expensive to buy & shoot, but lots of fun.

4. JayVols

Gotta love reliability.

Several guys I used to hunt with went out and bought brand new camoed up Mossbergs. They looked really nice, but when it was really cold or they got them wet, they jammed quite a bit. My 870 is 30± years old. It just shoots. And shoots. And shoots. No matter the weather. Every time they had a jam, I would just smile and pat Ole Betsy that has never jammed on me with a bead drawn on water fowl.

5. JayVols

Is your 700 bolt or semi-auto?

6. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

I keep a round in the chamber of mine. I'd rather it be a fun surprise for any invaders.

7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Bird shot or 00 buck?

8. syndicate

Buck shot.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I have the first one bird, because they should feel the first one

10. syndicate

I've thought about alternating buck shot and slugs in case they don't go down after the first shot.

11. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I've got a Euroarms Enfield I've shot now and then, it's a pretty effective piece, says a lot for the casualty counts. I've been looking to pick up an 1842 .69 smoothbore, just for kicks,

12. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Has anybody played around with tannerite? I think done friends and I are gonna get some and go shoot this weekend.

Edit: "play around" May not have been a great way to word that

13. JayVols

Mine's a Euroarms as well.

One of the more eccentric reenactors I know (a retired art history professor) has an original Polish musket, I think it is, that is .77 cal. It's crazy.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Bolt

15. JayVols

I have a semi-auto borrowed to pop some coyotes. It's a pretty sweet gun.

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Tannerite is the best thing know to man. I've been using 1/2 pound targets because that's the biggest the range will let us shoot at. But I've heard of guys that have filled 2 liter coke bottles and gallon milk jugs. Check out the you tube stuff. At 50 yards you can feel the 1/2 pound target explode.

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I might load up some .308 in the morning and shoot tomorrow.

If I don't get time, I might go see how badly those disks can embarrass me.

18. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

My dad just recently went to an estate sale and was able to get 4 Sweet 16's, two that were never shot, and 2 Browning .22 Takedowns. They are all immaculate.

I've just recently built two Daniel's Defense AR-15s and bought a Rock River Arms LAR-8 Elite .308 caliber. Asking for an ACOG 3.5X35 red dot for Christmas.

19. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

My dad just bought one. Holy hell they're expensive.

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Got mine for 800 coconuts. Is that expensive, I didn't really shop around? I got it from CDNN and shipped it to my FFL guy. I know the Colts and Kimbers are pretty high.

I don't know if this is ok, I don't work for them, but here's a link to a decent Springfield. It's not the Loaded model. $580

http://www.cdnnsports.com/1911-a1-45-mil-spec-3-dot.html#.U_cwQIm9LCQ

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014