First time going abroad

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm leaving for Italy Friday to spend a week over there with a class. We will be in Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples, and Rome. Any advice or suggestions? I've never been out of the country, so I'm kind of unsure what to expect.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm going to Italy in April. Milan/Venice/Florence/Rome.

I've been to Romania 3 separate times (2004,5,6), and I've spent a day in Amsterdam while on the way one of those times...Apart from the character of Amsterdam which is all its own (and all the bikes), I didn't think it was that different than an American city, ads for the same products, etc. Romania was less westernized, but moreso in 2006 than 2004.

(Also been to Haiti, but that's a different experience altogether)

What I've gathered from my research into Italy is that English is prevalent in the cities, and younger folks will speak English, older folks probably won't. Wouldn't hurt to attempt to speak a little Italian either. Making an effort to use the native language will earn you some points even if you butcher it, was the same in Romania. Probably make a copy of your passport, too, just in case. Also have heard that Naples can be a little rough. Honestly, though, people are still people wherever you go, and you'll have a great time.

This especially for you, Indy, soccer is really big in Italy, so you could think of everyone there as a kicker....so watch your back.

3. murrayCod

murrayCod Member

Be cool, relax, chat up some foreign ladies, and don't be the stereotypical LOUD American when in out in public.

4. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Check out this thread. Good advice in here.

Anyone been to Italy? - VolNation

Too bad it's just for a week, it will fly by. I hope the weather's nice but enjoy yourself regardless. Who knows when you'll be back you know.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Your trips sound like humanitarian/mission work JQK?

6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Eat lots of spaghetti and call soccer "football".

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Thread title is misleading, Indy.

I was certain that this was going to be a re-telling of NYYVol's wedding night.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

There was no mention of the last time going abroad, you should have known better.

9. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Indy. Italy is great. Most folks speak English but appreciate when you try to speak Italian. Unlike the nasty French. Just remember to keep conversion rate in mind when looking at prices and that taxes are already included in all prices. Eat plenty of the food cuz it's great. Keep your wallet and other valuables in mind when in Rome. Know many folks who left there without their wallets/purses. Wife has been to Rome but I haven't. She says you could spend years there and not see it all. Good stuff. Enjoy.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Assassin's Creed 2 Tour, 2013

11. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

lol

12. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Watch the movie "taken" about before you go.

13. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Or Eurotrip

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Literally the expression, "When in Rome" applies here.

But remember, you are the embodiment for America and American culture anytime you travel abroad. Don't be a twerp. And have fun!

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Don't eat the food outside of Pompeii. Naples is a craphole. Trastavere is an awesome district in Rome. Cheap eats, locals, good bars. I actually found Rick Steve's book to be pretty helpful. I was surprised too.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We have gone over the wallet issue, and my professor informed us of pickpockets. Said using an American wallet is just asking for someone to steal your shit. He recommended a wallet to wear around the neck, which I purchased (despite feeling very touristy). I will keep it hidden as much as possible.

We learned some Italian every day at the beginning of class. I've got the basics down in my notebook and plan to look them over a little on the plane.

Johnny- we are actually going to a soccer (or football) game while we are over there... I will have to really watch my back!

So basically, don't be a douche bag? That one might be a little tough for me, but I think I can handle it! I will represent our culture with class.

Thanks guys. Any other advice is welcome!

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Oh, and as far as ladies go... I have a good friends who has been in Rome this entire semester. He is going to meet up with us on Tuesday, and show us around Tuesday night. He said he would be glad to introduce us to some of his lady friends.

18. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Jet lag sucks. Try to sleep on the plane and then just know that it will suck for a couple of days.

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

For me, I can usually get past it with one good night of sleep. I generally try to stay up for a while so I'm exhausted and then I can just pass out on my bed when it gets dark.

20. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That's the best method I know. Try to sleep on the way over, then stay up until a reasonable time to go to bed in the new timezone.

I have had a hard time sleeping through the night the first few days, though. Going east is generally a lot harder for me than going west.