fixable plays

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Ssmiff, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

off the top of my head, trying to think of fixable plays that killed us. Coaching needing to improve is obvious, but you gotta think a group of coaches that have been around so much good coaching, players and championships know what they are doing, don't you?

--JG first fumble. We schemed to block it right and had a man open. Whiffed on the block, and JG slow with footwork and release by .5 seconds means fumble. -7 pts
    --screen int. Just throw it in the ground. Anything but that. -7
    --Callaway lets a ball get into his body, which he doesn't normally do and drops a td pass -7
    --Long 4th down play that turns into a touchback -7
    --JG long int was defensive PI, but imo the ref got so wow'd by the great catch on int that he didn't call it. Actually i'm not sure what PI is right now. I recall 5 that should have been called.
    --onsides kick was set up perfectly but we didn't take their guy out as supposed to. Yeah maybe a desperate call but it was there and we are pretty desperate.
    --bad snap inside the 25. 2nd turnover in the red zone for zero points. Cost us 3 or 7.
    --#89 catch over Theo Jackson, who is right there and should be able to get a hand on the ball. -7

So 28, 31, 35 pt differential in a handful of awful plays or plays right there we don't make. That's what I would be trying to talk to my team about this morning. Im sure the team is down. Its a gray day to end a gloomy weekend, which was also a huge recruiting weekend, and we have to hope the kids and parents see the few plays and playmakers we need to be able to compete.

Daddy Gee likes this.
  2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

What if that's all they've ever been around, championships, the good players, etc.?

3. Ssmiff

well i'm not sure anybody is going to win at UT again ever, but it won't be with bad players if we do. I do know i'd rather have a staff with them than without. They've been there and seen the meetings, planning, practices, etc.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don’t think a meeting the day after a game like that that’s focused on telling the players how a few of them screwed up and lost the game would go over super well.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

There are people who build great organizations and people who maintain great organizations. They are not necessarily the same people.

6. Ssmiff

the game is about making plays and the team is down. If I want them to compete and get their heads right, I'm trying to show them its just a few plays and not a disaster. Not sure running them to death or yelling at them for 3 hours in film session is the best right now either. There has been plenty of yelling and not much response.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I’d probably have a hypnotist on retainer. Going to need a good case of amnesia to not fall apart over the next few weeks.

8. Ssmiff

agree. That's why there are only @ 3-4 organizations/coaches like that in all of college football.

9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I think we'll go 3-9 with happy players or 3-9 without. Maybe 2-10.

I'd be tempted to just pull a UAB and go off the grid for a couple years. I don't know if there's still a 25 scholarship limit when you do that, but I'm not sure it matters.

A-Smith and lylsmorr like this.
  10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I'd say most games are decided by only a handful of plays if you dig deep enough.

A-Smith likes this.
  11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

My biggest concern is that we’ve put all our eggs in the baskets of these elite recruits and after the bottom falls out of this season we are going to be scrambling and taking fliers on Kurrott Garland types again. I mean, we’ve got to at least catch up with Kentucky soon.

warhammer likes this.
  12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

And I'm not as anti-Pruitt and co. as I might appear this morning. It's just questions and concerns that have always been there that still have no answer and probably won't this season.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Every game, per the UT AD.

Daddy Gee likes this.
  14. Ssmiff

That's how you have to look at it to get the team ready for practice tomorrow.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I’d say this team has heard almost the exact same words come out of Butch’s mouth. He had an entire offseason devoted to that.

16. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

The PI no calls were bad just given that there were so many.
    Its not an excuse at all - but on almost every replay I saw callaway was being held, and a few other of our receivers were as well.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

They got away with some holds on offense as well. There were more than a couple of times jerseys were being stretched and guys being pulled from behind that was allowed right in front of the refs. Make no mistake, this was not the difference in the game, but it did suck.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I was livid

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

DWA’s hand was held down at his waist on a third or fourth down conversion attempt. Can’t believe they didn’t call it.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think the no calls were what made Pruitt snap and get the flag