Flint Water Issue

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volst53, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Seems like a huge cluster and mainly an issue of old lead pipes Leaching into the system.

2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I actually saw a Facebook post about this yesterday blaming republicans for this.

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The extent of my knowledge on Flint, MI: Mateen Cleaves, Charlie Bell, Antonio Smith, and Morris Peterson all played basketball together at Michigan State, all were from Flint, and were nicknamed the Flintstones.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Haha, how do you figure that being mainly the issue?

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

The issue is that the state took over Flint services and switched from Huron water (very clean) to the Flint river (ass nasty). A combination of long unused piping to the flint river and the corrosive water from the Flint river attacking the pipes caused lead to leach into the water. There was no corrosion control added after the switch was a very bad error.

The residents had foul smelling dis colored water and were told it was no issue. Kids started showing elevated levels of lead but no changes were made. Finally after 18 months the powers that be decided it was an issue. Put this in perspective, some homes taps measure at 1000 times the permissible level of lead.

There was some serious lack of governance and copious amounts of mismanagement here.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think the Republican Party is responsible for the situation (I know some present it as such, I do not agree with them). The governor is, however, directly responsible. I don't give a shit that he has an R by his name.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Because when they were getting their water from Detroit they were putting a chemical in the water that coats the pipes and kept it from leaching into the water supply and a lot of the housing and buildings has the older pipes there. Since the treatment stopped the coating that was previously there from treatment has been eroded away, and now they're getting leaching into their system.

I thought that the water had passed all EPA standards at the water treatment plant

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

1. It is federal law that such a chemical treatment occurs for municipal water

2. The new "state budget friendly" water source was far more corrosive and contaminated with heavy metals from the start. That they didn't properly treat it is quite literally criminal.

3. You are confusing the EPA with the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, which was run by political cronies who have already resigned over this and should see jail time.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

There's reports about the EPA knowing about it and down playing it as well. I think it was miss handled at pretty much every level.

10. Voltic89

Voltic89 New Member

That's life.

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Michael Moore is calling this racial genocide

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Of course he is

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Republican and CPA, double whammy here.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I see what you're talking about now. Looks like a guy within the EPA was ignored by his superiors for months, even after he blew the whistle.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It was government failure at every level.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Probably democrats.

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Sounds like my work.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

All they had to do was add phosphates to coat the pipes. The water source and treatment at the plant was up to standards.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Read the thread.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Costs 100 bucks a day, though. Gotta save money!