Florida Game

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by zehr27, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Up to 8th in S&P+.

LSU up to 12th, so our next test will be our biggest yet.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

My case isn’t about who’s “deserving.” We are deserving of the ranking based on how rankings are done. I’m talking more about who would win if teams played head to head.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Got it. It’s a little redundant in football. If we win an SEC championship in a 5 year span, we are nearly guaranteed to finish top 16 nationally in a 4 year span.

Do you feel we are on track to win an SEC championship in Heupel’s first 5 years?

4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

So we’re “overrated” but “deservingly rated.” Got it.

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I will better be able to answer that question after the Georgia and Alabama game to see progression from year 1 to year 2 against the two teams that we will need to beat to win an SECC. I and optimistic.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Pretend it doesn’t make sense all you want. IP talks all the time about how rankings are a house of cards. I’m not making a case that we aren’t deserving of a Top 10 ranking based on how rankings are done.

But do I feel confident in our ability to beat all but 9 teams in the entire country, head to head at a neutral site? No, not at all.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Well, I’m glad you’re optimistic. I’m not optimistic that we will perform any better against them this year than we did last year. And I worry about UK and LSU as well, based on what I’ve seen so far.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hooker has been damn near perfect since he took over as the quarterback. Tennessee can compete with anyone because of that.

Ohio State, Alabama and Georgia are about the only ones I would give the edge to. USC could probably go score for score

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Kentucky isn't good

yont sum iss? likes this.
  10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We can agree to disagree on the 2nd part. We will get a lot more data the next 3 weeks.

Hooker has been excellent. But in our two games against opponents with a pulse, we’ve looked unstoppable on offense against one, and couldn’t get out of our own way against the other. Either way, the defense and special teams are my bigger concerns. I think there are a number of teams who can get a stop against us before we can get a stop against them.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

no reason why their d should be better than ours but it is

12. Tar Volon

Their line appears to be much worse than last year, so we shouldn’t get carved up on the ground like we did last year. We just can’t let Levis sit back and find the soft spots in the zone.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Levis hasn't won a game because of his arm yet in his college career

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I agree with this post. Doesn’t change how I feel about that game. They forced a punt or turnover on downs against Florida 7 times. We only did it twice.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And Kentucky just beat NIU by 8

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You mean like when we let Richardson sit back and find the soft spots in the zone for 450 yards less then 24 hours ago?

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

... and we Won!!!

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Teams sleep walk against inferior opponents all the time.

19. Tar Volon

Our secondary can make mediocre passers look good. See: yesterday.

Indy likes this.
  20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

…and? Burn the game film, I guess. No reason to watch it. We won, and that’s all that matters!