For Comparison's Sake...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Sep 30, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I would like to know if anyone actually thinks the situation Dooley walked into was actually worse than any of the following:
    Bob Stoops at Oklahoma.
    Nick Saban at LSU.
    Lou Holtz at South Carolina.
    Dan Mullen at Mississippi State.
    Rich Rodriguez at Arizona.

2. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

He's a poor man's John Mackovic.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Didn't Blake leave at least a somewhat respectable level of talent at Oklahoma?

I know Stoops mined the JUCOs once he got there pretty hard.

Dooley was left with two WRs that will make a lot of money on Sundays and a good to great college QB.

None of those guys were left with that.

4. hatvol96

Blake left some decent players, but if you look at the roster of the 2000 team you see a bunch of freshmen, sophomores, and JUCOs. Those were all Stoops recruits.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I thought Huepel and Griffin were JUCOs

6. hatvol96

Huepel and Torrance Marshall were. My memory is a bit fuzzy on Griffin. I'll look at a media guide.

7. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

and Roy Williams.

8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Didn't Arizona have a fairly decent talent-level under Stoops? I just remember them having a tendency to look like world-beaters for a few games and then choke, but I'm not familiar with anything beyond that.

Don't really know what was up at LSU in the late 90s except they were bad. Mullen and Holtz are good calls. Absolutely worse.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Why the comparison? If anyone still believes in Dooley, what the hell difference is anything that requires even limited analytical ability going to make?

10. hatvol96

Griffin wasn't a JUCO. If he redshirted a year, he was a Blake recruit. If not, he was in the first Stoops class. Couldn't find that answer.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Their best player the last few years was their QB, who now backs up Manning.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

LSU and OK probably had a little more talent that stayed around, but it wasn't dramatically more.

13. hatvol96

Don't think Williams was a junior college recruit.

14. hatvol96

If you take out the guys Saban and Stoops brought in as part of their first classes, I don't agree.

15. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

You're thinking of Arizona State, unless the Broncos took Foles as well.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I dare anyone to come up with less talent on a BCS level team than Holtz did when he took over and then do something with it. I dare you.

I had forgotten how bad LSU was the two years prior to Saban getting there.

If you want to talk talent inherited and what they managed to do with it, there's no contest.

17. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

You know it's bad when Lou Holtz is used as an example as to why Dooley sucks.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

My mistake

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I'd need to look closely, but I thought he inherited Phil Petty. That was a good piece to have. Pinnock and Brewer were ok, but your basic point stands.

Grabbing Newton and Sidney Rice were huge gets at the time, and then snagging Kalimba Edwards gave Spurrier some nice players to work with. I still think USCe fans greatly undervalue what Holtz accomplished.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Foles is with the Eagles