Friday Night Tykes

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Feb 3, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

My parents didn't come to games. Guess I was lucky.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I threatened to ban my mom if she couldn't calm down

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

You cant fix stupid.

I have had people ask me why I coach. Most are shocked when I tell them my daughter is on the team. I guess Im getting that part right.

4. Beechervol

Thats not always a bad thing.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Watched first two episodes. Couldn't believe how serious everyone was.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  6. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

What the shows captures and displays is disturbing. Kids are impressionable. They emulate their role models. System broken

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Ban parents like this

8. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

i guess they could do a show about youth sports with kind, strong coaches and intelligent parents who know their relative places in the bigger picture,

but,

what kind of ratings would we be talking about?

maybe reality tv IS only made for bad people . . .

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I watched sone of this show, this is church compared to youth sports in the 305.

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I pretty much do.

11. JayVols

The 305 sucks then.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Talking about playing time is off the table. If that's an issue, they can take them to the house.

13. Beechervol

Thats one perk to open practices. I dont have that issue. The separation is easy to see.

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You won't catch me arguing that with you.

15. JayVols

Exactly.

Have told several parents they have that option.

16. Beechervol

I normally address that with those that sign up and the parents before the first practice.

17. JayVols

I hate Lyle Jones.

18. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

19. JayVols

That's a helluva article and story. I like hockey, but I don't know much about it. It's just not a part of Southern culture. But I do understand these type of parents. It's a gross understatement, but they suck. I had been coaching for 12 years before I had kids. I am eternally grateful for this fact because the biggest lesson I have learned from now over 25 years of coaching is how NOT to act as a parent. I encourage my kids to work hard to improve at whatever they choose to do, but in the end, it's THEIR choice. THEY will be the ones that will benefit from hard work or suffer if they are lazy. I had my time playing ball. It was great, but it's over now. It's not about me anymore; it's about my kids. I see these type parents all the time. Well, I don't see the beatings described here or you would have read about a semi-crippled old coach either whipping a dad's ass or getting his ass beat by one. Last summer the police had to be called to come to my youngest daughter's league championship game. Wasn't me or the parents on my daughter's team. I just sit in my chair, keep my mouth shut and enjoy watching my daughter have the time of her life everytime she steps on a ball field. It was sickening. She plays hard, but she plays with integrity. Integrity will last a lifetime. You might not understand me using integrity to describe the way a 10 year-old plays ball, but it's the gospel truth. My Macie is a pretty decent little ballplayer, but she's a world champion in the integrity department. I'm most proud of that. Snd I make sure she knows that.

I coached for 12 years before I had kids. Thank God I did. But by the Grace of God, there go I.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  20. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

As little shats we would play pick up games on the outdoor rink all winter, be it 2 on 2 or 20 on 20, waxing nostalgic here but that was about the best time I ever had. The only supervision was a random parent who lingered while dropping off or picking someone up, rules and teams changed on the fly, though we always kept score.

When I got into the organized end of things it just wasn't the same, of course it's easier to notice that 25 years into the rearview.