POLITICS Fun Tax Data!

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Oct 15, 2018.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Around here they arbitrarily raise the assessed value every year, so you get to pay more in taxes. That's not me speculating. I was told that by the assessor.

justingroves and RockyHill like this.
  2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yeah. I could argue against how they assess the amounts on occasions.

Every now and then I ll get asked the question. I own 100 acres according to my deed a recent survey that shows 97.5 acres but the tax card shows 110 and that's what they are taxing me for. Why is that?

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Call a surveyor

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Its about the only way you have a chance to fix it really. Most of the time its where the old farm deed had a public road cut out of it and the ROW was never deducted. Or a road was always there and the old deed went to the center of it back in the day and there is now a 50' ROW (typically 25' to both sides of the center line of the Rd).

Its funny when we go to East KY and go in the assessors office. They'll pull up our map where we need parcel info, deed reference and ownership info, they'll click on the tract and it will pop up "No data". Our retort is always, "who's paying the taxes on it?"

justingroves likes this.
  5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I remember the one in particular I used over and over back in the day. It was a compound word though with a four letter word as the focal point.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I own property in Tennessee and Alabama. The tax assessed value for my house in bammer is wildly high. I would gladly sell the place for 2/3 of the value and pocket a tidy sum of profit over what I bought it for and its current market value. For my property in Tennessee, there's no way on earth I would accept the tax assessed value for any piece of land I own or the family land I see to.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

See, there needs to be a mechanism to call the local government's bluff and make them demonstrate the value.

kmf600 likes this.
  8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I agree 100% Down here you can appeal your hone value, but its normally your square footage times the price/sq ft kn your hood. Our property assessor is elected, so I'm not sure, but I think its supposed to help