POLITICS GA polling site contraction thwarted

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by NorrisAlan, Aug 24, 2018.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/24/us/randolph-county-polling-closures-vote/index.html

Gladly, the debate and vote and entire meeting to close down 7 of 9 polling sites in this predominantly black county in Georgia lasted all of 60 seconds. And it was defeated handily.

But I cannot believe this proposal was even brought to the committee in the first place. Such brazen attempt to suppress votes it isn't even funny.

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Well, they originally proposed simply making all black votes count as 60% of other votes, but that didn't make it far

JayVols and tvolsfan like this.
  3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Was that the reason given in suggesting it?

4. NorrisAlan

Saving money, I believe.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

A contracted consultant wanted them closed because they were not ADA compliant. As if fewer, more crowded polling locations would increase access.

Tenacious D, JayVols and tvolsfan like this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Washington post said ADA compliance issues

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Agreed; I have been following it. The attempt was bull shit. From what I understand most folks at these polling places don't have cars and needed a place they can walk to.

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yep, I think this was the legit cause, but the appearances were bad with a black dominant constituency.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Hell, at one point, blacks were considered property & only 3/5ths of a person. That's a HUGE stain on our forefathers.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

ADA requirements are no joke. I'm closing a rather popular restaurant down for two days to "fix" a ramp that's an 1/8th of an inch from ADA compliance.

I call bullshit on this being the reason this went to vote though

JayVols, Poppa T and awebb7 like this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, they're strict. I agree that there was something else behind this, in particular.

I also wonder if it really serves the public interest to not work with businesses/facilities to get in ADA compliance with minimum disruption.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

IP cares more about big business than the handicapped.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

On the contrary, any handicapped person that shows up to eat at that restaurant while JG's dudes are correcting a 1/8th of an inch infraction is going to be inconvenienced by more than 1/8th of an inch.

justingroves likes this.
  14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So JG hates the handicapped, too? Really surprised at you guys.

justingroves and VolDad like this.
  15. NorrisAlan

We are a hotbed of hate and bigotry.

16. dknash

dknash Chieftain

That county has less than 7500 residents, and the first election results I came across showed just under 2000 voters in a general election for county judge. I have no experience with rural voting, but 9 polling stations seems a little excessive. Anyone that wasn't going to be able to vote at one of the two remaining polling stations probably has some difficulty voting at any of the 9 current ones. Hardly seems worth the backlash to disenfranchise maybe 1000 voters.

Anyways, time to just switch to American Idol voting.

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

The candidates that want to win will usually pick up any voters that can't make it to vote down here. Usually buy then a lunch too. Last time was a box lunch from Jimmy John's if I remember. It was like a half sandwich, chips, and a drink.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Don't know how much truth there was to the report, but I knew a guy who swore one of the big two parties would load up voters on booze and give them cartons of cigarettes to get them out to vote in Philadelphia. He had lived there for a good while, so I won't completely discount it. Oh, and rides were given as well.

Come to think of it, there's an episode of King of the Hill that addresses busing voters to the polls.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I hate civil engineers that don't know how to shoot grade and, once proven wrong, refuse to admit an error

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That does sound like a pain in the ass. Nothing worse than having to redo something for free that you know isn’t faulty.