Georgia

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 29, 2022.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hooker had been sacked a grand total of 0 times when he missed his first deep ball to Hyatt on the 2nd drive of the game. Your point works in theory but doesn’t reflect what happened.

This is an excuse. Teams play in loud environments all the time without false starting nearly every single possession. It’s like making an excuse for a guy who fumbles. There are very few situations where you fumble and it’s not your fault. Hold onto the football.

I can get on board with this take to an extent, though I still believe not fielding it was a mistake. I can accept that line of thinking by the player and still see it as a mistake. But the momentum piece is flat wrong. It was 7-3, and we had just held them to a 3 and out.

This is a generic nonsense response to specific scenarios. I’ve outlined the specific play calls I thought were really bad. We can talk about them, specifically, if you’d like, but generic comments like this don’t really add anything.

I think you’re giving Georgia too much credit and underestimating how hard it is to get anything going offensively when you’re constantly putting yourself behind the chains. I think there are a number of teams, including us, who could have beaten Georgia in that environment without all the stupid penalties.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

-qb can be rushed by a bigger, faster defense and cause missed throws. Everybody in the world know that
    -teams do not play in environments like that all the time, with that much at stake, vs multiple future nfl players. Literally the most watched college game all year and playoff on the line in 125 decibels. Did you already forget all of Bamas penalties at UT in similar environment?
    -if you are going to complain about runs on specific downs, where was the complaint the first 8 games. Heup at certain times has been doing it all year when he plans on getting close enough for a short 4th down attempt. It’s not going to work out everytime, but has worked out much more than it hasn’t.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

upload_2022-11-8_18-46-17.png

Part of being a QB is making the throw regardless of what is going on around you. Hooker has done it all damn season. The first deep ball was not a throw under immense pressure.

Won't even bother screenshotting the other two, as I agree that after getting hit so many times, it can absolutely affect how you throw. But that approach doesn't work if Hooker was off from the beginning.

Lol, holy hell, is this a serious post? Remember when Bama had 2 total false starts in Death Valley at night this past weekend, even despite being an incredibly undisciplined team this entire season? Were the LSU fans not loud? Was the environment not hostile? Someone should have told Bama that you are supposed to have 3 separate drives with at least 2 false starts, like we did, when playing on the road against a hostile crowd.

There's no excuse for that many false start penalties in a game. You're making excuses.

I have complained about our playcalling on multiple occasions this season, on this board. It's recorded. I took notes on my phone during the Florida game, and I complained about offensive playcalling on 6 different occasions.

And despite that, I think our offensive playcalling is generally VERY good. And I call that out when I see it, usually in the chat.

Running on 2nd and 15 isn't "getting close enough for a short 4th down attempt." Running on 2nd down from your own 4 yard line isn't "getting close enouh for a short 4th down attempt." We gonna go for it on 4th down from our own 7? You're not talking about the same thing I'm talking about.

4. Ssmiff

-no, Hooker hasn’t been pressured like that all season, not to mention the type of athlete. He hit his first several, so he wasn’t off from the beginning.
    -I’ll repeat, that environment isn’t a weekly deal for teams across the country. There aren’t 3 more hostile environments in college or pro the whole season. Lol as you wish. And for 2nd time i’ll remind you how Bama was affected in Neyland and set a penalty record.
    Arguing if it’s an excuse or not is dumb. Noise and lack of poise are why they happened. Label it whatever you wish.
    -of course not in our own goalline. I specifically remember the run play on 2nd and 15 you complain about. It’s not Xbox so not every play works. We have done it again and again this year and picked up yards earlier in the game vs ga. Heups goal with the call is to get to 3rd and 8 or 9 with 2 downs to get the rest. We’ve also run this year on several 3rd and 6, and made the first down or lead to a short and converted 4th. If they didn’t work out, im sure people would say they are bad calls too

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Isn't Columbia supposed to be louder than Athens?

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hooker did not hit a single deep ball. He attempted his first on the 2nd drive of the game. Hooker was off from the beginning.

We spent the whole week talking about how Georgia's environment isn't shit compared to other big venues in college football. Now it's the fourth most hostile environment in college or pro? Jesus, dude. You're just rambling nonsense. They were talking about hanging a [uck fay]ing sheet to keep the noise in, for [uck fay]'s sake.

You already reminded me of that. It doesn't prove what you think it proves. Bama made a LOT of mistakes against us. They didn't make those mistakes against LSU. Both environments were loud and hostile. It proves that those sorts of mistakes are on you when you make them, and no one wants to hear how loud the crowd is.

I have no problem with running the ball on 3rd and 6 when you know you're going for it on 4th regardless. I have no idea why you are bringing up something I'm not talking about.

The 2nd and 15 made no sense. At least run a draw, or some sort of screen - something that shows pass first to get the defense off balance. We ran directly into the DLine and [uck fay]ed ourselves for 3rd and 13, which they then knew we had to throw on.

The other play I complained about was the run on 2nd and 7 from our own 4. Again, it set us up in third and long from our own 4, allowing them to pin their ears back. At that point, we should have just ran the ball on 3rd down to prevent the safety/fumble debacle.

They're just bad play calls, man, whether they work or not.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure all of the best environments in football are looking to hang up sheets to keep the noise in.

8. Ssmiff

Goodness indy you are [uck fay]ing mental.
    -Hooker didn’t hit another deep ball because he was off? nobody was open deep on all but 3 plays the whole game and one was to a TE whose never caught a long deep ball. Hooker was holding onto the ball waiting for them to get open. The INT wasnt Hooker being off with a long throw. He wasn’t open.
    -still no idea what your point is about presnap penalties. It’s as if you’ve never seen a loud home crowd cause problems before. Since it doesn’t matter, why are 103k fans [uck fay]ing screaming on defense. And yes, with decimal levels over 125, besides the UT/Bama game, there hasn’t been a louder one in nfl or college this year.

9. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Probably will be at night. But we let Sanford get that loud with our play. We shouldn’t let uscjr fans get that hyped.

A-Smith and Memtownvol like this.
  10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Columbia is a myth

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hooker was off from the beginning and throughout the entire game. Missed a deep ball early. Sailed and one-hopped a number of throws. You can attribute the late misses to the pressure if you want. Part of being a good QB is overcoming that pressure. You have no leg to stand on with the early deep ball.

I have no idea how you can still be lost. Here, does this help?:

PRESNAP PENALTIES ARE 100% THE FAULT OF THE PERSON WHO COMMITS THE PRE SNAP PENALTIES AND ARE MISTAKES THAT ARE 100% AVOIDABLE, WHETHER YOU ARE PLAYING IN FRONT OF A LOUD, HOSTILE CROWD OR EMPTY STANDS IN THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE. That's my point. Does that help, or are you still lost, somehow?

Florida only had 2 false starts against us in Neyland. Bama only had 2 against LSU in Death Valley. There is no [uck fay]ing excuse for having 8 pre-snap penalties in a game.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Imagine sitting in film, watching your offense commit 8 pre snap penalties, and then hearing one of your players say "But coach, it was really loud in there."

I may be annoying as shit, but at least I'm not a grown man making excuses about how a loud crowd caused 8 pre snap penalties.

13. Ssmiff

Dumb. Everybody knows noise was a factor and the offense didn’t handle it well. You act like the 2 can’t be exclusive and it has to be one or the other. We haven’t seen penalties like that all year and happens only in the loudest stadium. Does it happen without the crowd? Hasn’t all year, so yes, the crowd caused us issues. Obvious to everyone but you.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You get lost in these arguments regularly. This was my original post that you responded to:

No one is saying that crowd noise has no impact on pre snap penalties. My point, from the beginning, and which I've restated probably 5 times now, is that they are 100% avoidable, regardless of crowd noise/hostility, and 100% the fault of the person committing the pre snap penalty. Blaming it on the crowd is an excuse. Don't move early.

15. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

The weird takeaway is both Ssmiff and Indy are right here but refuse to admit it to each other.

The stage and crowd got to Hooker early. Hooker was absolutely tight and off from the start. He was throwing high, which is a hallmark of a QB not playing loose which is what he has been doing all season.

The noise also started getting our Offense behind the sticks. That diametrically affects our playcalling and tempo.

Losing Small and having Hyatt hampered also really did not help.

Y'all are both right.

16. Ssmiff

It’s obvious the crowd was a factor. It’s also obvious the offense didn’t handle it well. I don’t know what Indy is arguing about, besides bringing up the crowd is an excuse? And he’s arguing teams play in those environments every week without issue, which I don’t agree with at all.
    Excuse, reason, factor, whatever the label. We don’t have those penalties without the crowd.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am very hesitant to accept any combination of indy and ssmiff being right. Hell of a precedent DC is putting out here.

18. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Home field advantage is a thing

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee seems to shoot themselves in the foot two drives per game with penalties or a fumble, be it at home or away.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think a lot of that is the warp speed they try to run at times. Bound to happen unless the team is hyper focused and trained. I think the amount of times it happens will shrink as the years go on.