Global Warming

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kptvol, Oct 12, 2011.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Nothing radical. Either a natural warming cycle, anthropogenic, or a combination. I didn't see anything new from that argumentthat would be some great end to that debate.

I think you might be taking my comments aboutthe author and applying them to
    a much broader subject matter.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Apparently so. My bad.

3. WM

WM Active Member

Quite shocked this thread hasn't been bumped yet.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just another warm year. It is the multi-decade trend that matters, and it showed rapid global temp increase. This year is just another drop in the pan. Hot weather in North America is but one small portion of the globe, and thus only a fraction of the global average temp. If experiencing a bad heat wave in one region alone makes one reconsider
    global climate change due to global warming, one does not fully understand what those terms mean. The evidence is vast. Current events are circumstantial additions at best.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

A few problems i have with the whole global warming deal:

1)the issue has definitely been hijacked by the wackos and is sheep's clothing for global wealth redistribution, regardless of the real-life implications.
    2) while i wouldn't deny that human presence has an effect on the climate, it just seems to me that there are too many variables that are beyond human control. IP, you keep on mentioning CO2 emissions and warming coinciding, ok, but what happens if something like solar output increases/decreases? wouldnt that render CO2 emissions largely irrelevant? that's why i think it's presumptious to say SEE! CO2 increasing! global temp increasing! anthropogenic global warming!
    3) and i wonder too if research being done isn't overly influenced by funding from both sides.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

1) So have many, many issues. Like, all of them.

2) We have a solar output record going back thousands of years. In fact, it is what is used to calibrate Carbon-14 dating. This particular warming pattern is not due to solar output. In fact, solar output says we should have gradually cooled over the last 40 years. Yes, solar output is a bigger influence than CO2. That doesn't mean CO2 is irrelevant. A quarterback is the biggest influence on a successful passing attack. You still have receivers, O-line, play calling, defense, etc.

3) If you are suggesting the need for more federal funding, I agree.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

[video=youtube;2FM3Em7FIOc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FM3Em7FIOc[/video]

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Don't know what's causing it, but it's hotter than a two-****ed dog. And I'm over it.

10. WM

WM Active Member

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hurricane forecasting in particular is pretty tough apparently.

12. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Forecasting weather 7 days in advance is tough, but doing so months in advance is near impossible and irresponsible in a lot of cases.

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I generally agree and hurricanes are very difficult. But you can monitor the conditions that are present early in he season and the conditions that appear to be setting up for the season and take a stab. Dr Gray has made a career of it. But when a key part of your model is degree of dust coming off the Sahara ou know you're going to have variable success.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Irresponsible? Don't be stupid.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dr. Gray has been way off before (as this year).

16. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

These type threads keep IP bottled up for days!

17. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Trying to create world and US policy on the enviroment based on models that go years out, especially with the huge margin of error in it, is irresponsible. The only reason they are doing it is for the money they can make on trying to prevent something they have no clue will happen. I remember them saying that we were in for extreme hurricane seasons after the year Katrina hit, and yet there hasn't been much since that season. They just want to scare the money out of people's wallets. If people just had common sense about some of the things they do, the people that are trying to bring the scare factor would be out of a job. Unforunately, a lot of people don't have common sense, and need to be scared into giving a damn.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

You don't know anything about models, margins of error, or the finances of it.

You thinking there haven't been many hurricanes not even a year removed from Sandy hitting New York City demonstrates just how baritone the voice coming out of your ass is.

19. TennTradition

Yes

20. TennTradition

Sounds a little like the "I remember when everyone was saying there was going to be global cooling in the 70s" argument.