POLITICS Google

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

There are some important questions being asked of Google, and it’ll be interesting to see where it may lead, if anywhere.

First up, Lion Ted - who asks some tough but fair questions, and which I thought that the Google Exec handled about as well as one could, give the position he’s in:

If Google is censoring to influence, and working with China while at the same time refusing to assist the US / US military...they may be inviting more than just some tough questions at a Senate Committee hearing.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

1984. from "lyin" to "lion."

I'm all for holding tech companies accountable. I don't like the selective political bent of it coming from the right.

Tenacious D likes this.
  3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’ll have to read up on this in order to gain a better understanding of what is going on, but “Lion Ted” gave me quite a chuckle this morning, and I need it too, being the first day back from a long holiday.

Tenacious D likes this.
  4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This is a very interesting time. I am not a big fan of mega-corporations that can act as pseudo-governmental agencies, and am interested to see where this kind of inquiry goes.

To play devil's advocate:

Does Google get any kind of special dispensation from certain regulations that would lead to Congress concerning itself with what a private company does?
    Isn't it the job of the government to stay out of the way, at least as far as the Conservative movement believes?
    And that beard is not a good look on Ted.

I will say that him bringing up the donation habits of the Google employees is and should be non-information, nor should a sitting Senator ask a private citizen who they voted for or who their friends voted for. It is bad form.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It’s honestly amazing that Washington has been so laissez-faire with Silicon Valley this long.

It’s about time we start screwing with it and mess it up too.

6. Tenacious D

I’m for free enterprise, absent something to sufficiently move me from it.

Things certainly seem to be aligning, and quickly, though.

7. Tenacious D

If they’re working with China, I’d think we’d first have to guess to which nation they were working as a governmental agency, informally or otherwise.

It is the job of the government to stay out of the way, insofar as I’m concerned and so long as there isn’t a sufficiently necessary and compelling reason to do otherwise. I’ve yet to see such proof, insofar as Google is concerned.

Yet. We’ll see where it goes, if anywhere.

I think it was pertinent in the larger context of what he was speaking to, and there’s nothing wrong with either his asking or their refusal to answer.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

free enterprise becomes a technocracy at some point of runaway success and penetration into all walks of life. it sounds like scifi but isn't.

9. Tenacious D

Link: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019...doj-announces-broad-antitrust-review-big-tech