GOP Dominates Dems @ State Level

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This really is hard to have imagined was possible, just a little while ago.

Wonder what changed in the last 8 years, and of late?

Link: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...re-seats-gop-dominance-state-legislatures-all

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's been trending this way since the late 80's.

3. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Barry, the race baiting social organizer, deserves a lot of credit.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Don't forget the globalist media.

5. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

It only changed in the interest of change, IMO. Whether the last 6 or so years of financial burden for the middle class is Obama and the Democratic party's fault or not, the GOP has done a good job painting that picture. So, I just think this is a push for something, anything, that may have the slightest chance to make the voter's individual reality better than it has been in the last few years.

6. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

I agree with a lot of that. The GOP was just a lucky bystander in this. Right place right time. They, the party not the people, wanted an establishment candidate. The party fought against Trump not for him. If the party got what it wanted, HRC would be pres elect today. You are right, the GOP has done its fair share in causing a lot of these problems. I've never voted GOP on a national level, would never vote for Corker or Lamar. As I have said, maybe Trump will pull the GOP into a more libertarian standing.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Change is a good thing

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Meh. Depends on the change. Progressive for the point of progressive turns you into uni level lunacy.

9. Tenacious D

Not really. From the same article:

10. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Look at Kentucky, just for example. We elected a Republican governor in '15. Rs just took over the Ky house for the first time since 1921, and did so with a 62-38 supermajority. Rs hold the Senate with a 27-11 margin. We have 2 R Senators. 5 of our 6 Congressmen are Republicans.

This is a state that voted for Bill Clinton twice. We have had a Dem house since 1921, and Ds held a 2-1 supermajority as recently as 2010. Trump won 118 of our 120 counties (Clinton won Lexington and Louisville.)

And whether the Blue Staters on the board want to admit it or not, Kentucky has not become more racist, or more ignorant, or more white in recent years, but they did stop voting for democrats in anything. I'd also submit that the Republican candidates in this state haven't really gotten any better. What has changed, IMO, is that the Democractic Party has shifted so far left that the coal miner in Harlan, or the UAW worker in Georgetown, or the farmer near me no longer has a place in it.

11. MWR

MWR Contributor

Yep, as Reagan said, "I didn't leave the Democratic party, the Democratic party left me." And I guess left should be capitalized.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

In the 60's,70's, and 80's it was crazy to think that the GOP could win the house.

Dems use to carry 60 plus senators. They've had peaks but they've been on a steady decline since the 80's. The peaks hasn't ever been as high and valleys keep getting lower.

13. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Silly. I'm not even in the top 5 for lunatics on this board.

Interestingly enough, I actually agree that change simply for the sake of change isn't good, though, no doubt, we have different ideas on what that change is.

14. Tenacious D

Yes, at the federal level. This is all about state houses.

15. Tenacious D

Brother, you set the scale for Most Dopey.

I don't even think there's a second.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I know which started going with the trend at the federal level and has been growing. Most of these states have a long history of being controlled by democrats.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

If I'm first, then it's only because you retired the champion long ago with the Trump ball washing fanboy act. I could be top 10, perhaps. I'm also #2 behind NY for Most Fabulous.

18. MWR

MWR Contributor

Let's just give everybody a trophy.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Top 5 board lunatic checking in. Apathy is a killer. In some ways the party is too left, in others not enough. Less Pelosi, more Bernie. Less safe space, more concrete reforms. Social issues must be principles, not legislation and regulation. Have to be more cost neutral in government initiatives. This is a great opportunity for metamorphosis and growth.

Blaming Obama is silly. His approval rating shows that. The rest of the Dem leadership needs to get younger, smarter, and more practical. A party of protests and safe spaces belongs in the trash. Dems are going to get better or die with Pelosi, Clinton, and the rest of the dinosaurs

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I wonder where I'm at on the looney scale?