GOP's "Splitter Strategy" Failed, Backfires

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Basically, this blog details the plan behind how the GOPe (GOP Establishment) not only made changes to its primary process, but flooded the field with "splitter candidates", designed to split and dilute the support away from all candidates who might challenge their anointed choice, Jeb Bush.

It's why the GOP passed a rule that no state primary held before March 15th could award delegates in a winner-take-all format, but only proportionally, instead.

It's why Lindsey Graham, Kasich, Rubio, Cruz, Fiorina and a host of other candidates were "running"....but never really ran, anywhere or to anything.

And not only has Trump destroyed the plan, but the GOP is left with a bunch of candidates who they know aren't good enough to be "the guy"....because that's the precise reason that they are in the race, to begin with.

Also, in light of Romney's latest nonsense, it should be mentioned that it was just how they hoped to do the same with Romney, just 4 years ago.

I'm not going to re-post the whole thing here. It is lengthy, but a good read. It is not from a mainstream source, or one which I know to be reputable. It could contain any number of fatally flawed points, but I didn't find any.

Link: http://theconservativetreehouse.com...enefit-of-gope-road-mapped-splitter-strategy/

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

it says a lot that their "anointed choice" finished behind pretty much all of them

3. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Any thing to the Romney led civil war

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Cant imagine anything Romney led amounting to much.

5. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Ryan jumped on board..........it's to the point of being comical.

This whole scenario was predicated on Trump being a non factor. Heck, I thought Bush would have painted Trump in a negative light and ran away from him. It's unreal to watch how Trump has taken over.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Per Cruz this morning:

"A brokered convention is the pipe dream of the Washington establishment," Cruz told reporters ahead of his rally in Orono, Maine, but added, "In my view, a brokered convention ain't going to happen."

Cruz said that if the Washington establishment tried to steal the nomination from the GOP front-runner, currently Donald Trump, it could cause a revolt. That's why he emphasized how important it is for him to win the 1,237 delegates needed to clinch the nomination.

7. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

I don't know that Trump would be the best thing for our country, but I hope he goes 3rd party and crushes the Ds and the Rs

8. MWR

MWR Contributor

I think the majority of Americans are not happy with the political process as it exists today. They are looking for anything anti-political-establishment. A lot of them think they have found this in Trump.

These "Trumpeteers" may be correct. And they may be wrong. We'll all find out if Trump gets elected. And he may win it, after all Americans love a successful person.

9. MWR

MWR Contributor

Saw this on facebook.

Progressive?

[​IMG]

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

It is. They misjudged not only Trump but a large portion of the voters they need.

Since his ball got rolling they have helped him out (along with the media) trying to bring him down by all means necessary.

At this point there is a better chance that Trump is able to move the establishment party goers to vote for him before the "Trumpeteers" just jump to Cruz or Rubio knowing the machine destroyed Trumps chances.

I have no idea if Trump could do the job well, no different than I know Rubio or Cruz are gonna do it right, but he has shaken up the political landscape and that is welcomed by me.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The notion that this can be settled at the convention hurts Cruz, both in donations and delegates. He thinks he has a better chance of winning the primaries than winning a brokered convention. Wait until he loses about a dozen more states.

And notice, he doesn't disavow a brokered convention, but rather, just believes it is unlikely.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Brokered convention is Paul Ryan. It can't be Rubio or Cruz because of the way they've gone after Trump. It really can't be anyone that ran against Trump and got less votes. Too much bad blood.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

So, nominate the dude who ran with the dude who got his ass kicked by Obama in '12. That sounds exactly like the kind of brilliant scheme the GOP would concoct.

15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Leaves Romney to get nominated.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think we all know that the main problem with that was the top of the ticket. That and that it is pretty tough unseating a President.

17. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I think we all know that Paul Ryan isnt beating Hillary Clinton, or Donald Trump for that matter, in an election.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I actually have no clue. Trump is running in the general with an "R" by his name or no though. That much is clear. Hillary is a really flawed candidate and if the GOP wasn't a total cluster this year, they would beat her handily with almost anyone.

19. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

I wish the Rinos had this much intensity fighting Obama's spending over the past 7 years than they did the last couple of months on Trump. The voters gave them a majority and these spineless Rino's simply threw eggs in their faces.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They didn't do it while in full control with W either.