Government Only Thing We All Belong To

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Sep 5, 2012.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You mean it gets worse? Ooooooh shiiiit.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

surely no willful ignorance on your part, you being clearly objective in this and all.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

No one in this place is objective when it comes to this election.

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

As would any person with a sound footing in reality.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

That all you got? Damn, I must be on the money on this one. You don't see me taking a phrase and saying it means something bogus.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's a stupid saying, and to pretend otherwise is playing to a side. I think both parties believe that they own the people though, and want to keep it that way.

All you have to do is look at the Patriot act, NNDA, and the TSA

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

It was a phrase that is being ridiculously criticized for political gain. There's nothing stupid to say we are all together in government. Just like the church you belong to doesn't physically or spiritually own you, right? If I said I belonged to the Denver Public Library, I would not be declaring myself the property of the Denver Public Library, and there would be nothing stupid or illogical about the statement. So no, it isn't stupid. It is the people who can't grasp that who are in danger of being stupid.

I do not disagree with the rest of your post.

8. hatvol96

Utter nonsense. Everything is literal. Why, Tony Bennett walks around with no heart because he left his in San Francisco.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think it's an inside look at the mind set in Washington. I'm saying both parties are guilty of it, and I think it's still a stupid saying in this political environment.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Perhaps one of my favorite posts. Ever.

And entirely accurate.

11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I don't really see much of a reason to get worked up over this quote.

12. hatvol96

Glenn Frey says this is bullshit. You belong to the city, you belong to the night.

13. Tenacious D

Hey, hey now....there's no need for interpretation. It's in black and white. Like the Constitution.

As to the subject matter, whatever the intent, someone over there should have been smart enough to stop what is just shitty phrasing.

How about, "We are all countrymen / citizens / freedom-loving people (etc.).", instead?

14. hatvol96

A speechwriter for the President thought the words "you," "own," "a," "business," "you," "didn't," "build," and "that," looked good in sequence. This isn't exactly the [dadgum] Renaissance.

15. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Getting fitted for my chains tomorrow.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I thought the President was sorta free balling it with that line

17. Tenacious D

Or, here, let JFK example how it may be most easily and certainly stated, as an unwaveringly universal truth:

[YOUTUBE]NyR_b98weiQ[/YOUTUBE]

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Going to be a lot of damn metal

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

20. Tenacious D

And that may be the most damning truth, and the millstone which history hangs around the neck of the entire Obama presidency.