Greatest Athlete Ever

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, May 31, 2018.

1. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Still, different kind of endurance for different sports. Soccer players can run all day long but make them run all out sprints alongside a WR and see who is gasping for breath first.

2. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

My friends and I have debated whether NBA point guard or NFL cornerback requires more athleticism. I think I went with basketball, but can see the argument for either.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

The wr, take it to the bank.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Football is still largely a spartan sport built around physicality

Basketball is just a more graceful sport that displays athleticism easier.

5. chavisut

Okay.

6. chavisut

Depends IMO. Skills are different but both difficult. Some get by with more skill than raw athleticism at both positions and vice versa.

I doubt anybody would think John Stockton is more athletic than Deon Sanders or Curry over most NFL corners. I'm sure you could give examples for the other way.

7. chavisut

I think it comes down to skill v athleticism.

I do think it would be an easier transition for an elite athlete in basketball to transition to football compared to the inverse if neither had any prior experience.

NashVol11 likes this.
  8. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Steve Davis. Elite Snooker player

IP likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yeah athletes are athletes. You can usually tell at a young age how a kid runs, catches and throws. Athletes tend to do it all naturally and can play several ball sports

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The WR, all day long. Soccer players make a number of sprints a game, while running about a 10K every match.

11. Ssmiff

I had some barcelona developmental coaches at the house last summer for a week. Teaching them to throw a football and catch looked like a Borat episode.

12. Ssmiff

Soccer players are seldom in a dead sprint during a game.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Totally different recovery systems in play and a football player would be stupid to train like a soccer player.

justingroves and chavisut like this.
  14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yes, they are, especially on the wings.

15. Ssmiff

Striker sprints on long balls mainly. Rt and left wing on offense do some, Defense hardly ever is sprinting and guys like Michael Bradley run a ton during games but are not full speed sprint.

16. chavisut

No way a soccer player can jump in and handle the conditioning of a football game better than a football player.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Hardest thing to do in all of sports, though, is hitting a baseball.

NashVol11 and chavisut like this.
  18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’d be curious on how explosive the soccer players were compared to the Football players.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Depends on formation and tactics of each side. Generally, what you describe is not high level winning soccer. Like saying te's don't need to run block.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think football players would be massively more explosive, as soccer players aren't going from a dead stop hardly ever. It's fluid for them.