Greenville Craigslist Baby Sale

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Couple sell a 5-month old baby girl for $3k on Craigslist.

The baby was taken by TN DCS during the transaction, and is doing fine.

Unlike the world she lives in.

Link: http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...y-couple-tried-sell-baby-craigslist/99627672/

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

My initial reaction was, "who in the hell buys a baby?" And then I realized what kind of person might do that. Horrible.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Charges seem a little light for human trafficking. When looking at the potential consequences, actually killing the baby might have been a lesser crime.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Would have rather not thought about that

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

What the hell is wrong with people?

6. Tenacious D

Spoiler Alert: Despite their trying to sell the baby on Craigslist, actually succeeding in doing so to an undercover TBI agent, having the baby removed by DCS, and whatever criminal charges are pending or jail time which may be coming...the parents must still be allowed a defined plan or method of returning her to their home.

Yes, this is how it works.

Because "government".

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's why this should be punishable by death

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Slow and torturous death.

9. CardinalVol

This is why I could never be a foster parent and why I have so much respect for the people who do it for right reasons.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

DCS has some great people working for the but in my experiences has been a pain in the ass dealing with them.

11. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

It's called the statutory goal of reunification and it persists even after a dcs petition to terminate parental rights, right up until the tpr trial.

Government.

Dcs.

Many good, conscientious employees doing their best.

And some over-zealous freaks.

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Yep. The good ones are hamstrung half the time, too.

13. Tenacious D

I couldn't agree more (and more than you know).

But if you list and sell your baby on Craigslist, that should be immediate ballgame on your parental rights.

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Not surprised. I'm a teacher. The wife's a neonatal IC nurse. We both see shit like this all the time. Although, I wouldn't place all the blame on the entire govt. DCS? Absolutely. They're abject morons. But there's a bigger picture here, and this is in no way meant to be a defense of how DCS operates. It's just reality. Returning kids to family/family member is the cheapest thing to do. Notice I said cheapest, not smartest. There's not an unlimited budget & folks aren't busting down DCS' doors to take in drug babies going through withdrawls. I've seen those withdrawls. If it doesn't make your heart both break from the horror and burn with anger for the adults that did this to the child, I question your humanity. Tennessee has a law where drug babies can be taken from the mother; however, most of the time custody goes to a grandparent with whom the mother is living. It's crazy.

My solution: All the folks that are vehemently opposed to abortion need to put action behind their conviction and take in these babies so they can have a chance at a quality life. Those in favor of choice should do the same. Until the will to take action is as strong as actual convictions, these kids will continue to be returned to hellish homelives.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A good friend of mine from college has a sister that adopted two "drug babies".

They are awesome kids but their first two years were spent going through withdrawals. It was hard to hear about

16. CardinalVol

We've got about half a dozen or so families at church that foster, some like kids you mention. I don't see how they do it. If want to hunt down and kill the parents.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

There's also a ton of red tape and cost in those wanting to adopt. I know a family that had to spend around 30,000 to get their child. The system in place is really inefficient and ran poorly.

18. Tenacious D

They sound like they adopted internationally.

Tennessee will pay you - literally, and until they are 18 - to adopt most kids in State's custody.

19. Tenacious D

I don't live in a world in which my only options are no abortions / thousands of foster parents vs. abortion as birth control.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is a lot of competing information on the cost of adoption. I have no idea what is true. I know people who live in Tennessee and adopted internationally. They said it was quicker and cheaper. They are not the sort to have not done their homework. This would have been early 2000's.