Gregg Popovich to Take Over as USA Head Coach

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Pop will take the reigns of USA basketball in 2017 after K finishes up in Rio. Good and obvious choice, plus I get the added benefit of not having to pretend to like Coach K anymore. I will say that K has done a nice job of handling USA basketball, even though a lot of it was getting the top players to buy into the program again after the debacles of 2002 and 2004.

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

K is the Saban of college basketball. Hate him personally, but the guy is probably the best there has ever been, and he's done it over multiple eras.

3. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

He's no Pop.

4. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

And Saban is no Belichick. But they're the best at their level, though Harbaugh might challenge that

5. cotton

At what? At getting amateur athletes to perform at a high level? There has never been anybody better than K at that.

6. cotton

Apples and oranges. My guess is that you are overestimating Belichick's ability to convince mothers of 18yo kids to play for him.

Saban is among the best football coaches of all time. The fact that he's better suited to NCAA than NFL doesn't diminish that.

7. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

I'm agreeing with you that K and Saban are comparable to each other. I assumed GahLee was pointing out that there's a higher level of X's and O's in the pros, and I was saying it's the same with football.

Both are legends, no question about it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I'm a big college and NBA fan, but I couldn't care less about USA exhibition basketball.

9. cotton

I think it is still slightly embarrassing when we get beat. I still think we should dominate the world.