Happy 16th Anniversary of the Stoerner Stumble!

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 14, 2014.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Happy 16th anniversary of the most fortuitous fumble in the history of Tennessee football!

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Was in Charleston at a reenactment. The wife went but stayed in a hotel. Watched the game there.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Was in my step dad's brother's basement with a large amount of family. We had been solemnly eulogizing the season that had been when the fumble occurred. We ended up all like linking arms or some weird crap (like 6 of us) and squirming like worms on hooks during that last drive. When they scored the TD and won, we were all excited, but also just stunned... Stunned. I'm still stunned.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I already had vol syndrome back then, and that was our first week at #1 and said to my wife "Well, we just cannot handle it."

Then the fumble and Cheese ramming the ball down their throats.

The only thing I feel bad about that whole deal, and I doubt it was the driving force behind it, was the tragedy of the lineman that stepped on Stoerner.

5. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

[video=youtube;r_U6yNYEAQo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_U6yNYEAQo[/video]

6. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I can't remember anything from that season other than my parents having a party at our house the night of the championship. For some reason I also remember going with my Dad when he bought some football shaped National Championship magnet, it's still on our garage refrigerator.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

First time I cussed in front of my dad.

"Shit, he fumbled" - me

"The dumb bastard did drop it" - my dad

8. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

The game was on the SEC Network a few days back.

I knew the outcome but watch the game in a nervous state.

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Watched it live.
    Didnt sink in until Henry ripped Arkys D a new one on his way to the game winner.

Memories

10. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

16 years.....It's amazing that was that long ago.

11. NorrisAlan

Its painfully sad is what it is.

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

God I love seeing a fullback block.

13. NorrisAlan

Is that what that was? I was trying to figure out how the TE was so out of position.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Happened right in front of me as I sat in the student section. What I remember that day was frustration as we fell down big early and then dominated them for about 3 quarters, but couldn't get over the hump. I also remember that the weather was miserable.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i was in section D row 6 seat 2. i remember because it was an awesome seat and my buddy was in seat 1, which was on the end next to a vehicle entrance or something and he about got knocked over the edge about 100 times.

Also CardinalVol, he of little faith, left early.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

the play was right in front of me and it was like a scene from a movie in slo mo with everybody pointing and saying some variation on "hooooooooly shiiiiiiiiiit fuuuuuuuuuumbleeeeee"

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yes he did.

Left on the incomplete pass. Was walking outside through the stadium with one of my friends - would be silent, then a fit of rage, then borderline crying, then repeat cycle. We heard a loud roar and some guy with a radio said in total disbelief, "We got the ****ing ball back."

We all just made a bee line to the closest entrance and ran into the stadium. Was standing approximately 20 yards from Henry when he went in the endzone.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's actually a cool story. The deepest despair to mere feet from glory.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

also one of the guys i went with bought a pancho at Wendy's and the girls loved it. I dunno. It was just a yellow pancho with the Wendy's logo all over it

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And you fought them for him?