Happy Vesak (Buddha Day)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, May 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Pretty sure Hallmark invented this to sell more cards.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

More like a Gnostic Christian thing, really.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Much of my family is Free Will. I don't remember my uncle preaching on sacks of anything, whey, curds, or whatever.

4. NorrisAlan

Today/Tomorrow (depending on how the calendar falls in your country) is Vesak, Buddha's Day!

The first full moon of May is once again upon us! It is a time to reflect and take stock of our lives, to reaffirm our aspirations to end suffering not just for ourselves, but for all living beings, everywhere.

This past year has been a blessing to me. I found a dharma teacher and a new sangha (group of people that come together to practice, sort of like a church). My old sangha was on Mondays, but with Boy Scouts being on that night, I had to quit going, and last August found a new sangha that meets on Thursdays. And the man who teaches there has been kind enough to take me on as a student. It has been a spiritual rebirth for me and I have much gratitude for him and the sangha.

May you all have a fantastic year, may you know the end of all of your suffering!

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Am I suffering, though? I don't think I am.

6. NorrisAlan

Good! Then I am very happy for you.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Insufferable. Same thing

kmf600, IP and Savage Orange like this.
  8. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Dammit man...

9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Still waiting...

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

follow up question: the full moon is tomorrow at 5:11. does your comment about depending on country mean that the full moon event is geographically dependent? what would this mean if one were in orbit, on the moon, or somewhere else in the solar system or beyond?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

pushing for the Vesaktomy?

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Fat Buddha or skinny Buddha?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

well you don't become absent of desire by cutting calories, so...

14. NorrisAlan

The historical Buddha was most likely fairly skinny, but as he aged like all of us, I imagine he got a little soft. During his ascetic days before his enlightenment, he nearly killed himself through starvation, so was skeletal.

15. NorrisAlan

Desire is fine. It is clinging to the outcome of that desire which is what causes suffering.

But what you say is actually pretty accurate. After nearly killing himself to get rid of his suffering, he realized that complete deprivation is as bad as complete indulgence and started advocating the middle way.

16. NorrisAlan

Tradition. I actually believe some have celebrated already, some will be tomorrow (perhaps today), some on Sunday.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

so if you became a space marine, you'd probably observe the day in which the full moon was experienced at your chosen point of reference, probably on Earth.

Sort of like how Muslims would probably pray towards Earth, which would mean sometimes praying "down" through another planet.

18. NorrisAlan

No clue. I imagine at that point you just pick a time and celebrate.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Doesn't seem like high level functioning to me to have to starve yourself to figure that out.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

he pushed his boundaries to help figure things out. As did Jesus when fasting in the desert. there is clarity of thought in pushing ones self to the limit.

NorrisAlan likes this.