Has a team ever looked so underwhelming and responded?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Sep 2, 2016.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

As bad as we should feel about the game yesterday, I think we can all agree we've seen this same group of guys look significantly better. That said, we clearly weren't ready for the hype, and I'm not sure if we are going to be.

Has a team ever looked this bad to start the season and then responded strongly? I feel like history tells us it's going to be ugly.

2. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Any team or Tennessee? If any team, Ohio State would be my example.

3. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Edit: Not sure that's a good one. The loss to VT wasn't their opener.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Was game two, works for me

5. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

I've been hearing Ohio St being beat by Va Tech used as an example but I don't think Buckeyes looked this bad in that loss.

6. Tar Volon

They looked really bad, especially on offense. That VT team would've lost to App St

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

They were talking a lot about the 89 Colorado St game on basilio's post game show. I don't really remember that one

8. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yep. The great teams just go about they're business. I didn't expect a perfect game, but a bad game last night for a great team leaves you thinking, "we didn't play great, but the game was never in jeopardy." I left the game still trying to figure out how we won. If Appy had even a decent kicker we lose, and any kind of passing game at all, and they win by double digits.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also a coach that doesn't totally botch the last minute or so of clock management. Going to OT with a timeout in your pocket and the ball in enemy territory is unforgivable. We were lucky as hell to win that game. Had a few dropped INTs, too.

10. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Also, had a couple of fumbles that we recovered ourselves. VERY lucky.

11. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Exactly. May have used up entire supply of pixie dust to avoid what should have been a 2-3 score loss.

12. Tar Volon

That's a bit of a stretch. Take away the fumble luck and make their kicker average, and we probably lose by 4

13. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Stanford lost to N'Western last year.

OU lost to Texas.

14. gcbvol

Perhaps, but we caught a ton of breaks. Could have easily been 2-3 additional picks. App State dominated the game but UT got most all the luck.

15. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Knowing the history of Botch Jones/Mike Deboring, I can't write this off as just an aberration of first game, team not showing up, etc. This is just more of the same from what we have already seen. This is going to be a frustrating season. 8 or 9 wins...maybe worse.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Honestly we probably played equally bad against north Texas last year

17. gcbvol

Yep. Beware rationalization. We know what this staff (minus Shoop) is. We just witnessed a mini-miracle so it's probably unlikely we'll see more. In this case it likely does not get better.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

App St is not a power 5 school and have only moved to D-I A recently.

There's a difference.

19. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

The comparisons to 1998 Syracuse are my favorite so far. (Not on here, at the other place)

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm convinced I'll go to jail for assaulting a Butch Jones water carrier at some point before he leaves UT. 100% confidence.