Has Butch Been Playing Vanilla Until UF?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 12, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, but Rocky ended up not doing that.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The players are there. The entire mindset of the team seems soft, but then they go out and play street ball when they're down 2 scores and win.

It's frustrating to watch. I think Tim Priest may have a stroke.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes he did. In the final round.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm fairly certain he said, "I don't need no tricks."

5. NorrisAlan

But then he does switch. The ring announcers even say it, I believe. And he starts throwing left hook after left hook.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It seems like a hodgepodge of different techniques that just doesn't fit together. I think butch has a huge problem of trying to out scheme and out smart the other team.

Giving Kelly the ball 25 to 30 times a game just isn't sexy enough for him to prove how good he is at coaching.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

He's saving it for 2022, when the vols won't be young anymore

8. NorrisAlan

So many modern coaches think this way, too. But it IS smart when you turn and give it to your horse every down. You win games. Saban doesn't do anything ground shaking, he just has his team run like a machine and they beat you.

9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

UT Football: Keeping it vanilla for Florida only to then get our asses kicked by Florida since 1993

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

How Saban plays coverage is basically the gold standard on secondary play now though. He's that good.

Butch actually is really creative in how he uses the H back on offense but its really not a series that you build on. He just doesn't have an identity besides dumbass slogans and coach talk.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think this is true. But also I don't think he has a vision of a sum greater than its parts. Hence the hurry up offense when the D needs a break. Or the smattering of weird stances, exchanges, and choices he makes. There is probably a situation or reason for them, but not all together and not all the time. It's a kitchen sink approach from someone without a deeper understanding of what fundamentally leads to success on games. The butch Jones coaching philosophy is a cargo cult. His schemes are a rain dance.

12. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

Nope. Just an idiot.

13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Yes. Everything Butch has done has been building to this moment. It's all going to come together on Saturday, and you people will see.

The man is a mastermind.

14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

That's the excuse every year for the shit start. Since we follow through with a shit finish every year, I think we know the validity of these claims.

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It makes no sense to run plays at practice speed and wait to break them out for the first time at game speed against your big SEC opponent.

What you have seen is who we are.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You could be right. Been a long time. I remember him arguing with Mickey about it.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, the idea that we want to wait to actually run the offense with a first year starter at QB until we get to the swamp is just ludicrous.

18. NorrisAlan

He did in the corner, but Mick convinced him and about 1 minute into the last round, Mick yells out "NOW!" and Rocky puts his right foot forward and starts throwing left hooks.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I guess I was wrong. Begin your preparation for the apocalypse.

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Not vanilla, we are just not good.