Health Insurance Premiums

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by g8terh8ter_eric, Aug 6, 2017.

1. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Regardless of who or what is to blame for the health insurance mess, it is likely I will not be able to afford a plan for 2018, since Humana is exiting Tennessee and my plan along with it. I am struggling to figure out what to do, and was wondering if any 8th'ers had any possible recommendations for ways to try and manage to get new insurance without breaking the bank. My wife's insurance went up about $200/month when we put our son on it, so that's already income that we have lost. If they try to have me buy a $300/month policy or higher, which is somewhere which they seem to start for me, I really don't know what I am going to do at this point.

BTW, this isn't really meant to be a political post, as I'm just wanting to see if anyone else has had any luck in trying to find ways to curtail the cost.

Thanks in advance, gents.

2. vols4sure

vols4sure Member

Wife and I are together solidly upper-middle in salary ranges but with jobs that do not have great health benefits. It is just outrageous at this point and I don't know how other families do it that are less fortunate than us.

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Being a business owner my insurance cost is atrocious. Wish I could be of more help but it's a mess and likely will not get better anytime soon. If you are fairly healthy you might try getting a plan that basically just covers you for catastrophic events and pay more office visits out of pocket. Might come out better in the end.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

If my employer weren't paying the vast majority of it, I would definitely just get catastrophic.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

BCBS is supposed to be returning. No idea how expensive it will be. I would recommend having plenty of lube on hand.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I laughed.

BCBS treated me well until they left Farm Bureau

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have never had to buy my own insurance, and it sounds like it sucks.

Are there not co-ops that bundle together small businesses to get a better deal on insurance?

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Not allowed.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Why the hell not?

10. CardinalVol

Would also recommend medishare. It isn't insurance, but it is a coat sharing group that fits the requirements for insurance per the aca. If you don't have any insane medical conditions, it is a alternative.

It is Christian based, so if that isn't up your alley, there are other similar programs out there.

11. CardinalVol

Because it makes too much sense?

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Probably a law bought by insurance companies.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I do a catastrophic plan. 200 bucks for just me.

I think some of the southern states have it the worst.

I have no idea how families afford anything. We never had insurance growing up, once dad was out of the military.