Helicopter Parents in Sports - An Exploratory Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NYY, Dec 18, 2018.

1. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I ruined baseball for my oldest son. He told me so. He quit when he was a junior in high school and when he said he was done there was no going back for him. I still have a lot of guilt over that to this day and he's about to graduate college. I learned a lot from him and he still gives me advice on what and what not to do with my daughter to let her forge her own way. Biggest growth of my life probably was admitting that I was wrong with him and also listening to his advice now.

justingroves, Tenacious D and NYY like this.
  2. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If the kids aren’t having fun, what are we doing?

They’ve got the rest of their lives to be miserable like the rest of us. Protect their happiness for as long as you can.

3. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

You have it down NYY. My son's the same way. His son is average at best, daughter is just a natural at anything she attempts. He treats them both the same way and they want to and love any sport they can participate in. On top of that, they have fun. I think some of these sheeet head parents start training themselves in T-ball and think they have it down pat.

justingroves and NYY like this.
  4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

My son is pretty heavily into soccer and I feel I've done a good job of backing off except on a couple of occasions very early. He's now coached by two guys who played for the US national team, one of whom played in the 1990 World Cup. I say nothing now, absolutely nothing. At this point, if I did, my 15 year old, who now knows more about the tactics, skills, positioning, etc., than I ever will, would tell me to stop anyway.

My one contribution was to tell him as a 6 year old he needed to be able to use both feet equally. I came from a basketball background where you are told to use each hand, so it seemed to make sense. Now, whenever I hear coaches evaluate him and praise his footwork, I take a quiet satisfaction and be content.

I do, sometimes, talk to him about mentality and work ethic since I am a coach myself, but that's about it and I never do so in front of his real coaches.

smokysbark likes this.
  5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I've told both of mine that I won't fuss at them if they 1. focus on the task at hand and 2. give effort. I'm not perfect at implementing that philosophy, but i really do try. I'll bust their tails for picking daisies or playing grab-ass during practice, or for being lazy, but not for screwing anything up. And I'm their coach in one sport each, so that's a little tough sometimes. Play hard. Pay attention to [soccer.] Have fun. At least in theory.

Just as an aside, I've gone out onto the field and removed a kid from play twice during my coaching career. Both times it was mine. I still think it was justified. And come to think of it, I've also removed mine from play during a church Christmas pageant for the same reasons.

smokysbark likes this.
  6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the only thing i'll say to my boys is if they aren't listening to the coaches and showing them the proper respect or if they are half assing it.

smokysbark and justingroves like this.
  7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’ve kicked one player out of practice - and it was mine.

smokysbark likes this.
  8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my kids soccer coach i think was about to lose his mind over his own son. kid is a complete space cadet. i felt sorry for the dad.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

It was difficult with the first one to not joystick. That was 15 years ago and a young father..
    Only time I will and have said something in the car is body language or effort, which hasnt been often, but explained it from a competitor standpoint.
    Jake if im playing you and see that, I know I'm winning. Dont give competition any edge mentally

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

My son is sort of a go-with-the-flow kind of kid, doesn’t get to high or too low, but if you piss him off, he’s got a terrible temper. Kid talking, talking, talking all practice, to anyone and everyone, my son gets fed up and slings the kid down and through some bushes during a water break.

He knows better, and had to go to momma and to the house.

droski likes this.