Helton Joining Baseball Staff

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by CardinalVol, Jan 27, 2017.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

He seems overqualified for UT then

2. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Sounds like Currie met with him back during the SEC Tournament per some rumors. Seems like they have been slow playing Ash Lawson a bit while seeing how the Holbrook situation unfolded. I would rather have Lawson bc of his recruiting ties and background, but I think there are some young Assistants that would be better long term.

Lawson, for those who don't remember, was on Raleighs staff for approx the lat 6 months or so of his tenure. He went out and landed some top tier kids, but Raleigh got canned and I believe several of them went in the draft.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Whomever the worst candidate is, that's who we will likely get.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

ETSU job about to be open. Only way I want Lawson is if ETSU's eventual front runner came with him. He wouldn't with Bucs job open.

Lawson is front runner from all I've heard, though.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Whats your take on Lawson?

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Excellent at communicating. Knows the game well and has built some success with a program at the NAIA level. Has strong ties to the pro game and is well respected in the southeast as far as eye for talent.

I'm concerned about how well he can translate that to SEC baseball in a program that needs a serious shot in the arm. What he built at TN Wesleyan was good and has been sustained through time. But getting kids admitted to TN Wesleyan compared to UT is light years difference.

If he can bring Danny Clark from the Rangers with him. I say hire him now. If he can't, and if ETSU goes after Danny as they should, then I'm more hesitant.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Tony Vitello, assistant coach at Arkansas is the man.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Good hire. Can potentially be a great hire.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Please keep Helton.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

MIZZOU fans seem to think they royally screwed up by not hiring him last year and that he'll do well.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Seems he has a good eye for talent and has coached some solid major league guys.

Is this a 100% Currie hire or did this guy have a push from someone around the program?

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Disappointed it's not Burke but sounds like a more solid hire than we have made in the past.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

No one close to the program pushed him.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Interesting. So Currie did it live.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

This is Currie's hire.

I'll say this... I'm more impressed he could keep this under wraps the way he did. I've spoken to some people very close to the UT basebal scene and no one saw this coming.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

No way Tennessee could hire any one with out a search firm

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Dave Hart is completely stymied by this.

18. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Currie ran a smokescreen in the VQ/24-7/beat writers.... committee was talking to Lawson, MD coach, Burke, Mazey, etc... Holbrook was dangled last night, and all the while, Currie makes what seems to be a potentially promising hire that nobody had on their short list.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

If Holbrook was a serious candidate we should have just shut the program down instead.

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And Ash was a serious candidate.