Here's How A Real Coach Handles Adversity.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I am with you...we have differed in the past but on Fulmer and Dooley we do generally agree...I just don't know what we can do people are sheep they are scared of change...Dooley is so bad at what he does...he is the worst coach in the SEC just about absent recruiting...Joker and Nutt are close...

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

So, you are eschewing rational analysis for trumped up character assassination? Got it. Just one question. Who on this site needs your tough love on seeing Dooley as a ineffective coach? Who are you speaking to?

3. Unimane

No, I'm saying it's Pollyana-ish to think that there's a guy like that out there who's just going to automatically outcoach and out-recruit everyone in the entire SEC every year. I want a guy, though, who's giving us that shot year in and year out to win a title. Sometimes Saban would get us, sometimes we get him. Right now, we are everybody's [itch bay]. Fulmer was better, but he was still Spurrier's [itch bay].

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Nothing trumped up. Pearl was proven to be a liar, a cheater, and an overall scumbag. Dooley's record of failure as a coach is now five years long. That's the thing. The facts are clear. It just takes time for people to see them. I say the same things here I do when talking with anyone about UT sports. I don't worry about the small scale audience. I'm more concerned about making sure the big picture is getting taken care of. You act as if this is the only place the members of this board share their opinions and the board is the only place we disseminate information. That wouldn't be accurate. You think the national writers and commentators who savaged Pearl just lucked into finding the right people to get information to bury him? You think it's coincidence the media could never get where they wanted to with the Lane Kiffin witchhunt?

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't understand why admitting the guy has at least some ability to recruit means a person wants UT to give him a ten-year contract. I think the guy has gotten some good players in despite having zero success on the field and less of a recruiting base than anybody else. They guy isn't a terrible recruiter, I can admit that. That said, he's not out recruiting our main competition and the more info I've absorbed regarding the goings-on behind the scenes and losing to Kentucky, I mean... yeah, he's a pretty good recruiter but he still should've been fired last week. I don't get why both those can't be true.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And Saban's and Meyer's and Miles' and for awhile Richt's (but he seemed to have turned a corner there right before getting fired)

7. Unimane

Well, thank God we have you to save all of us, our own personal Orange Moses.

And, yes, you clearly said previously that you were interested in "destroying anything positive", which is essentially you stating you'll trump up the discussion on Dooley.

And, when was it that the reporter's buried Pearl? It was a pretty weak lie by Pearl to NCAA investigators that sunk Pearl, an issue we've rehashed a million times. Stilll, where in your revisionist history did you get reporters who did in Pearl? And, what do I give a shit about some story regarding Kiffin and whatever the hell he was supposed to do? I always said I could give a shit about Pearl's personal life and I didn't care about Kiffin's, either.

8. Unimane

Because, apparently, you give the reds hope and they look to us to guide them. If you say anything other than relentless anti-Dooley information, you are doing a disservice.

Nuance and rational analysis are not welcome.

9. Unimane

Well, yes, but I would be beyond pissed with a Fulmer clone anyway, so I'm on your side with this argument.

10. hatvol96

Where did I say I did anything or talked to anyone? Go back and read the stuff Dana O'Neill and Dan Wetzel, for two, did on Pearl. They had the stuff about Pearl encouraging the Crafts to lie and the details about the botched NCAA interviews long before they were made public. They didn't get that stuff from the folks in Indianapolis. They got it from people in Knoxville who saw the opportunity to deal a slimeball the card he had so richly deserved for 20 years. How do you think the 'AA came to be on Steve Smith's doorstep over at Oak Hill?

How is whether or not Kiffin authorized or complicitly allowed the Hostess stuff his personal life? I'm pretty sure that would qualify as professional conduct.

11. hatvol96

Yeah, promoting the concept of giving a guy who couldn't win in the WAC time to prove he can't win at UT is the height of rational thought.

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Because we cannot say, with certainty, that he actually is a good recruiter. How much of his class is the UT brand, and how much is him, personally?

Just a day or so ago, a recruit tweeted he was all Vol, regardless of what happens on the hill. Do you attribute that sentiment to Dooley, or the impression UT made on him? It seems to me, that if the kid is all Vol, even absent Dooley, it was UT that made the impression, not the head coach.

13. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

WE must stay united and focused...we need a new coach disagreements on timing of fire and nuances are not helping...

14. hatvol96

You didn't hear? Dooley is the first coach in UT history to recruit well. Never been done here before.

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

This is my guess and only a guess. Saban's strong selling point was his slickness. In the Blind Side book, Michael Lewis told of how Saban charmed the mommas by talking about window valances and curtains. He knew about designers and fashion. He dressed the part. He looked like a pro. This sold to lots of people; it also turned off others. Fulmer was famous for the good old boy, I'm one of you guys routine. He played it down.

Dooley is selling mini-Saban. He has impeccable manners, impeccable hair. He grew up in that last generation of men who still went to cotillion. I know that plays with some folks. I think it played well with Curt Maggit's father who found Florida to be boorish. I think it worked with James Stone's parents too, from what I have heard.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Saban can also say "Kiss the rings".

I'm sure Dooley can come in and get parents on his side. Dooley isn't a bad recruiter. What I'm saying is that Tennessee has been sold nationally for 80 years. Dooley isn't the first guy to recruit from all over and land talented guys. The same can be said for a Saban at Alabama. A good recruiter selling a historically good program is going to get talent in. A great recruiter selling a great program is an NFL scout team.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Wonder what Stone's parents think now that CDD and CHH have turned their All SEC lineman son into a bench warmer?

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm sure the UT brand is an asset, but it's still my opinion that he's reasonably competent at recruiting....there's a lot of places these kids could go with a great brand that have had a lot more success in their lifetimes. I don't think that it's an unreasonable opinion.

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Yea, and if you remember from the book, Leigh Anne was the only one he charmed. I also don't imagine that Lewis took a bit of artistic leeway with that write, especially considering the location and the family. If the charmer pulled recruits, based just on charms and not the W/L record (of which Saban is well into the W side of that little category), Coach O would never pull a recruit.

20. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Stone should be starting and hiking with his true hand...Bullard gets destroyed most plays...I was boggled by not only playing Bullard but continuing down the avenue long after he has shown how much he sucks...then why not make our C hike with his off hand so the spin is better as it enters our QB's hand...really? This is Tennessee...