Heupel Press Conference tidbits

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Oct 18, 2021.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

IP likes this.
  3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

First 4 or so minutes. He loved the crowd.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Little chilly in the room, I see.

5. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Man we may have dodged massive bullets with those injuries. Pleeeeeease stay healthy through these next 2 weeks and 7-5 is in play.

tvolsfan and IP like this.
  6. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I hereby renounce every single ugly thing I ever said about Heupel. Just goes to show how much I know… I’m the same guy who, when he was first hired, really thought Jeremy Pruitt was going to be the guy to turn it around here.

7. Nannerpuss

Nannerpuss Member

I really get the feeling he genuinely likes it here and I believe him when he says it’s the best environment he’s ever been in. Maybe he’s full of it or a great actor. Maybe I’m gullible. Just my opinion.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

He doesn't seem like the actor type

A-Smith and Nannerpuss like this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think he's legitimately surprised at how quick the fanbase took him in considering we can be pretty rowdy.

10. Nannerpuss

Nannerpuss Member

Yeah, I’d agree with that. Amazing what putting a non-shit product on the field can do. I appreciate him and the fight in our boys and will support the hell out of them, even though we aren’t winning anything of importance this year.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's not said one bad word about Saturday night either. In fact, he's repeatedly talked up how great the atmosphere was.

InVolNerable, warhammer and lylsmorr like this.
  12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I wasn't thrilled with the hire, but he has done nothing really so far to make me want to give up on him. He may not be the guy in the end, but I like what I have seen from him at this point more than every coach since Kiffin at least.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That's something. In the press conference, he gives lip service to not liking the "incident", but he is quick to close his comments with high praise for the environment. I'm not saying he's doing a wink-wink, nod-nod to encourage more of that, but he's making sure to let it be known that the fans were a positive in his eyes Saturday night while the narrative in the news media is the opposite.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dooley had a pretty good staff and held Bray back for the easy part of the schedule. I didn't think he would be good, but he finished his first year and I wasn't 100% done with him yet. He failed miserably in year two for me. He was a shit head to everyone and lost alumni and support from within immediately.

Butch, he tried the no read read option with Worley and it failed spectacularly. I had no faith in him winning shit. Dobbs and crew carried his worthless ass.

Pruitt, I had hope he would figure it out and get out of his own way. Instead, he doubled down on all the things that make a coach fail. He was also illiterate.

Heupel, outside of starting Milton over Hooker (which is understandable to try, Milton has every physical tool needed to be an all time great), hasn't made any dumb decisions and he's a genuinely good guy by all accounts. No gigantic red flags yet.

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

he's hardly said a negative word or made an excuse about anything, and he's got plenty he could mention. I respect the hell out of that. Qb issues, low numbers, best OL hurt, best rb hasn't played everygame, mlb transfer done for year, playing 3rd and 4th string vs SEC competition. Not one excuse.

16. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I really look forward to this staff having depth to work with, the fun is just beginning. (Although this week may not be that much fun.) [uck fay] bama!

10SEvols likes this.
  17. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Across the board it seems anyone in the medias take on it was damning the actions of the crowd, very little mentioning what caused the crowd to be upset, whish to me smells like SEC politics. 250k seems a bit heavy to me, although i don't condone tossing things on the field, that ref crew is known to be inept, caused the incident imo, no word of course on their performance review....fans want to see a pound of flesh when these refs jack stuff up I think.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ve seen a couple of references blaming it all on the spot on the 4th down, but that’s like blaming the burning of Atlanta on Private Jones’ campfire

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's not a couple. It's a chorus because that's easier and quicker than taking on the SEC officiating incompetence, bias, whatever you may label it.

Volokie likes this.
  20. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

I think it all went back to the first quarter when the strip fumble touchdown was called back. Followed by a long string of arguably one sided flags, taking way too long on calls. It was like following a carload of grandmas on a curvy 2 lane mountain road. Then throw in the what was it 17 play stops for down OM players. I don’t care if it is hard to police faked injuries, that’s obvious BS. It was effective tho, Kiffin is known for underhanded tactics and it worked.