Heupel Press Conference tidbits

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Oct 18, 2021.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

May have misread it but thought I read somewhere that Calbert may give it a go or will at some point this year.

2. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

He can play last four games and redshirt.

3. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

No one will ever convince me that Pruitt could coach AT ALL! He can’t coach period. He is dumb at everything and there is no exception. There is no subject on this planet where he could function at above an IQ equivalent of 75. I don’t know where this “he knows__” comes from but he doesn’t. He and Ansley couldn’t coach DBs even close to what we have now. Remember how BYU beat us. He is a total and complete dumbass in every single way.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Was him sitting there calling out plays against Auburn just his version of Bajakian being bizarrely good against Georgia? We saw what appeared to be defensive acumen, and it went up in smoke.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

* Kentucky

NorrisAlan and Volgrad98 like this.
  6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Technique. Sometimes it's just can't taught. It can be too much to process for some guys.

7. TDVol1989

Even a blind hog stumbles across an acorn every now and then. Having some idea what someone is doing and coaching players to successfully play against it are 2 different things. You guys can celebrate his 2 best moments if you want, but he is the dumbest coach ever to coach at Tennessee. He was terrible.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Put him at DT and let him raise hell. Less technique

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Butch was worse

InVolNerable, SetVol13 and zehr27 like this.
  10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He may end up there eventually if he doesn't transfer.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The thing is, Pruitt was just god awful in a whole lot of ways, god awful. Burch, you just have a hard time convincing me that he really knows more about football than me, and my coaching success is limited to Upward flag. Heck, I think me and my buddy's team could have beat any other Upward team in the league Burch coached.

BTW, my phone now autocorrects to *Burch. Who am I to argue with technology, AI, and whatnot?

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Butch's incompetence cost a lot of guys their health and a lot of money. His arrogance and stupidity cost a lot of people.

Pruitt, while stupid, fought to keep Jennings and Banks on campus. He had the players' backs for the most part, he just ran practice like it was 1988. His stupidity is contained to never coaching college ball again.

13. TDVol1989

I don’t like saying this but I find Pruitt to be worse. We’ve done this before. Both were disasters but Butch beat GA and FL. Wasted talent for certain. But Gump was bad at everything. The only remotely good thing about Gump was his apparent blank looking disdain for Kesling. I say apparent because I am not sure anything at all was in his head.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Idk, however fraudulently it was done by Butch, I just can’t help but think Dooley and Pruitt could both coach here a million years and not put up a single 8-4.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, you missed the point. Butch's football dumbass-ness had JRM and Maggitt on punt coverage, Kamara on the bench, Croom having reconstructive knee surgery and caused Hurd to quit rather than tolerate him for 5 games and get paid.

It cost Callaway a year of eligibility. Khalil McKenzie was drafted as an offensive guard, a position Butch wouldn't let him play.

Yeah, Pruitt lost a lot and is probably illiterate but he at least took up for his players and didn't talk about 5 star hearts or energy vampires and he didn't have guys falling on helmets or tearing ACLs in Oklahoma drills during bowl practices.

Pruitt pissed us off, Butch pissed on student athletes and told then it was raining. Butch is one of the shittiest human beings to ever grace the sidelines of Neyland.

Hell, Butch won one SEC game without Dobbs. He tried his best to keep him off the field for chunks of two seasons

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pruitt won 8 games in 2019.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I have this strange confidence in Heupel and co. I never feel there’s a game where there’s no chance to win if they’re at full strength

Memtownvol and 10SEvols like this.
  18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

All this talk about which was worse and, at the end of the day, it's pretty simple...

literally anyone on earth > any bammer

IP likes this.
  19. TDVol1989

Gump lost to GA Southern and trotted out JG over and over. I continually hear Pruitt chewed out players coaches and admin. I guess he was beloved by those who paid him. The only thing I can possibly think of that Gump accomplished was keeping JJ on the team. Not sure how much his role was but I will give him that. It’s death by drinking poison or injecting it. Neither is attractive. But losing, cheating ineffectively, cheating badly, and leaving an investigation has to tip the scales.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Georgia State

TDVol1989 likes this.