Heupel to OU Freak Out Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 28, 2021.

1. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

That's not going to help his pay raise

2. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I’m no insider but it would shock me to learn any development of the WR’s could be credited to coaching from Burns.

justingroves and zehr27 like this.
  3. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

4. TimRoo

TimRoo Member

Never happening. I mean, what are the odds that a first year coach that goes 7-5 would return to his alma mater when clearly he's low on their list of options and a perfectly reasonable NFL coach is option #1?

Also, many of you aren't thinking negatively enough. The most Tennessee thing to happen would be for the NCAA to come back with their findings and penalties this week before OU makes the hire.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Thank you for that.

TimRoo likes this.
  6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If you get a chance to go from position coach to coordinator or coordinator to head coach, I'll help you pack your office because 9 out of 10 times you better take it.

justingroves likes this.
  7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yeah, if for no other reason than than to get the golden parachute that comes with being named a head coach.

TDVol1989 and JayVols like this.
  8. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Dooley noted

hohenfelsvol and JayVols like this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Thing is some dudes have been around awhile and don't want to be a HC. Plenty of money paid to assistants now

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Butch ya know he's right. Our last 3 coaches are the Pruitt in the pudding.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Not remotely college level whatsoever, but I was one of those guys. I coached all manners of high school ball for over 20 years, 2 of the early years as HC. I was so stupid then & not even close to being ready for it. Never wanted to do that ever again in any of the sports I coached, especially football. Was much happier as a position coach, assistant and/or coordinator.

At one place, the O-coordinator or the D-coodinator was in charge of the JV games. I even hated doing that.

TDVol1989, justingroves and Ssmiff like this.
  12. Ssmiff

Just let me coach my position and you can have the HC drama and pay me well. I'm good with it. Most HCs have the ego to want to be the man. Like politicians who want the light. Others like JH just want to run their own system without HC interference.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  13. Ssmiff

14. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

He ain’t goin’ nowhere.

Those aren’t the words of someone looking for the next job. It’s an odd feeling to be really happy about our coaching situation. It seems like ever since the Majors/Fulmer fiasco we as UT fans have always been more on the negative side in our outlook about the HC (with maybe the momentary exception of Kiffin…) but Heupel is different. I’m really happy he’s our guy.

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

The Oklahoma job is one of the most coveted in football. Athletic director Joe Castiglione will have plenty of guys to vet. There will also be some unbelievable names attached to this opening.

That being said, here are some names that will be thrown around that are highly unlikely due to fit, baggage, or personal history.

Josh Heupel, Tennessee Head Coach
    The breakup when Stoops fired him after the 2014 season was as ugly as it gets. We were around it. Heupel is bitter about the firing. OU is bitter about things becoming a big enough mess that Stoops had to fire him. Those attaching Heupel to the OU job just prove they don’t know much about the program.

https://oklahoma.rivals.com/news/not-so-hot-board

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

That firing was always a cluster. Our defense is ass, let's fire the OC so that Bob's brother still has a job.

A-Smith, Memtownvol, SetVol13 and 2 others like this.
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Mike telling everyone the offense scores too fast so I can't help it is a Butch level excuse.

A-Smith, tvolsfan and Memtownvol like this.
  18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have been sitting here for 10 minutes trying to come up with something funny to say about this, but I got nothing that is funnier than what was actually said.

I got nothing.

InVolNerable likes this.
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's unbelievably dumb. If your offense runs at a blistering pace, sell out to force turnovers.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Son of [itch bay]es offense was still scoring too fast this year for him too

Memtownvol and NorrisAlan like this.