POLITICS Hong Kong Hullabaloo

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by DC Vol, Aug 13, 2019.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I worry we are headed toward a dust up with China that is going to happen sooner rather than later.

But that sooner is a time in which our kids will be doing the work.

Tenacious D likes this.
  2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Who's responsibility is it to save them?

3. fl0at_

The exact question the greatest generation never asked.

tvolsfan likes this.
  4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don’t think that’s accurate. As a country we weren’t too excited to jump in till Japan hit Pearl Harbor.

5. fl0at_

We were sending weapons and supplies, fighters and aircraft all throughout Europe long before we formed lines at enlistment centers.

tvolsfan likes this.
  6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don’t begrudge any man’s hope, however far-fetched.

7. Tenacious D

We did, and that resulted from the fact that not even FDR could get Americans to support another European war.

8. fl0at_

How doomed we are to repeat history, then, if the best we have proclaim "why me?"

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

That you think they are the same concept, and I don't, is worthy of a thread sometime.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Interesting collection of signees on this letter.

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

So, we go to war with them?

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Except it is. There are just fewer cameras, and atrocities against Muslims are a harder sell.

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

There are widespread protests with limited government action to stop them?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think he is saying it is even more brutal there. they literally have them in reeducation camps

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

All I'm saying is worse things are happening in the West with less attention being paid, and it's not being taken care of all that quickly.

Edit: I'm also saying less is being said about it as well. Hong Kong protests are made for for the news. Not to take away from what is happening there, but things are worse in other places from a human rights perspective.

https://amp.news.com.au/world/asia/...errer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s

If this was to happen in Hong Kong, the response from around the world would be different.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  16. fl0at_

War is a commitment of forces.

Support is a commitment of everything else.

We support them. Not question why we should support them.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Devil's advocate -

How soon does supporting turn into a commitment of forces through? Or how much support gets us there?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think he is agreeing with you, and I know I am. yes, things are worse there by far.

warhammer likes this.
  19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

What has happened in Tibet is horrible, but at least it got some celebrity voice in the 90s and 00s.

20. Tenacious D

Thankfully, don’t live in a world where the choices are so terribly simple as choosing between “war” or “peace”.

This is a difficult question, as it challenges the presupposition, itself. Of course, and you know, there are thousands of reasons why we support them, most good and interspersed with a dubious few, but the preeminent reason is that they are our friends, our peoples share a common history and bond, and we simply prefer to do so. For well or ill.