POLITICS Hong Kong Hullabaloo

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by DC Vol, Aug 13, 2019.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I went to at least three Free Tibet concerts at Moose's in college.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If the reason we're avoiding doing something is because we're afraid there might be a consequence, we've already lost, and we are no longer the super power we dream we are.

RockyHill likes this.
  3. CardinalVol

I don't know if that is the reason or not, but I feel you back these guys are we're looking at a mini Cuban missile crisis.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I miss Moose’s.

5. CardinalVol

Seeing Vanilla Ice is his punk rock stage there was a top 10 college highlight.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'm sorry dude, I'm sincerely not understanding what the answer is. And is it our responsibility because we have the money to take care if it?

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Yeah I was echoing that point by saying they are giving Hong Kong tremendous leeway, by their standards.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

1. 1000% agree.

2. That what we’re seeing is Chinese “leeway”, should remind Americans as to who they are, and what they’re about.

3. That the Chinese market is so prized as to be seen as more valuable than freedom, and that they have so obviously infiltrated our economy as to compel American companies into complicit silence, should be terrifying, and to anyone paying attention.

9. fl0at_

You shouldn't concern yourself, it isn't your responsibility to consider these things.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I agree. Hong Kong being more modern helps with this is the main thing I was trying to say.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

What responsibility does - or should - America have, to support these people, if any?

Is merely the generalized supporting of the cause enough, or do we actively help? If so, how?

Hong Kong will never be fully liberated and free, short of war with China. Should we risk that?

I think that the millisecond that the world’s attention is slightly diverted to the next shiny thing, that China is going to unleash absolute hell on that place - and not just to quell the protests, but to serve as a warning for any others, who may ever attempt the same. It’ll make Tiananmen Square look comparatively tolerant and measured.

These are tough questions, which must be asked, and where there are few good answers.

12. CardinalVol

There isn't a correct answer, short of unloading our entire nuclear arsenal on Beijing.

I do think we have to take a stand against China and their views on human rights and at least verbally support them and not let the spotlight be taken off of them for as long as we can. We're in the midst of a new Cold War whether we want to admit it or not.

I think the American citizen does need to tell every person/organization that is bowing down to China what they can do with themselves with both our mouths (fingers) and wallet. I'm less concerned with our governments stance than I am of these because this is what will make us lose, and quickly.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

nukes make problems, not solve them.

I think the way to fight and win is as you say, not accept capitulation on any terms. we should be loudly pro democracy and pro liberty, and should not compromise those values for the sake of making some money. money earned in support of authoritarians is blood money. Free markets are not a substitute for free people.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I was just thinking this the other day. But unlike the post WWII cold war with the USSR, we have been in bed with China for 40 years, and they own a not insignificant portion of the USA. And Americans LOVE their money, so they will be hesitant to make a stand and hurt their revenue stream.

But, ideologically, we need to support Hong Kong as much as possible. The UN is useless in this case, as China has a veto.

How do we support them? That is the harder question, because I am not sure we want to risk open warfare with China. But it may be inevitable, because the Chinese governments way of running things is completely antithetical to the USA.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's a catch 22.

Trade in China has been a net positive in a lot of ways for us and them. However I hate their government, and hate central planners.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

China still would have issues with projecting force, but that window will be closed eventually.

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'm taking Float's advice and not worrying about it

18. fl0at_

It isn't your responsibility. We'll shoulder the load.

kmf600 likes this.
  19. fl0at_

We support Tawain right? Or at least we used to before 2016.

Not sure where we stand today.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

depends on the real estate deals available in Beijing, judging from recent events involving Turkey.