How bad are we underachieving?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Nov 4, 2015.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

We should have flattened Florida.

2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I told a friend that went to UF that if we traded coaches we'd have beaten them 45-0 and he didn't get it. Casual fans around the SEC don't understand how bad of a coach Butch is.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Indy, Tennessee had a 13 point lead in the 4th quarter against Florida. Tennessee beat UGA. South Carolina is 3-5. Mizzou is 4-4.

Stupid ass coaching is the reason Tennessee isn't 7-1

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i didn't really think they SHOULD before the season, but the way the games have played out, i think it was an opportunity blown.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm not calling for an sec title, either, just a trip to the seccg

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i really can't stand when people like pennington think their preseason predictions are still in order without taking into account what happens on the field week to week

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

45-0? Come on man. The dude didn't get it because the statement is moronic. Their coach was equally stupid in that game. Everyone was trying to figure out which one was the bigger idiot.

Sweet. And UGA can just as easily say they beat us by 3 TDs if Chubb doesn't go down. And if they don't lose chubb and get beat by us, they can say all the momentum isn't against them going into the UF game. It's easy to come up with alternate scenarios for what could have been.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I do think people are underselling Florida as well. I know our playcalling allowed them a major opportunity to steal the game out from under us, but in the end, they had to take advantage and did. And since then, they haven't exactly been a bad football team.

And there's still the Arkansas and Bama losses. Arkansas may be a lot of coaching issues too, but it is what it is.

9. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

Winners win, losers lose. It's that simple.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Sweet cliche, Butch.

11. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

Ok, you literally just laid out how he gave the game to Florida and Arkansas. I presume you watched the OU game. Where, exactly, are you seeing a killer instinct type winner? It is what it is?

This is a personality type. It exists in all around us, and it is consistent. Perhaps, one day way down the road, he learns enough from his mistakes that he can coach a game through the 4th quarter. The concern is that his sales pitch will be worn by then, the talent will decline, and once again, apathy has long set in.

12. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

Slightly amusing side note - my two yr old son snuck out of bed and walked up as i was typing and said 'she dancing. i like.' Kudos for the avatar.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They, predictably, have improved as the season has progressed. We caught them just after they were fairly fortunate not to lose to Kentucky.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

The Arky game can 100% be laid at the feet of our staff for forbidding Dobbs to run.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Giving their offense no credit?

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

4th and a mile late in the 4th against Florida and we rush 3 with a spy. Stupid play call, right? I agree, in that I wasn't surprised when they caught the ball past the first down marker. That said, our guys didn't make a play to tackle the receiver who caught the ball, and their receiver made a play to turn that 15 yard catch into a 60 yard touchdown. Stupid play call gives up the first down, not the touchdown.

My point isn't to defend Butch. He's an idiot. There's a pretty good chance that they still go down and score even if we tackle that guy immediately. But who knows? I just don't think we have been so much more talented than all the teams we've played that we should be able to say we "should have" won the east.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We should have. There is one team that doesn't suck. They have first year head coach, a freshman QB, and were down two scores in the fourth. And anyway, you neglected to point out the reason that TD put them ahead rather than in a tie was because our head superbrain couldn't read the chart that tells every coach to go for two.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Indy, Tennessee blew a 13 point 4th quarter lead. Dobbs said the playcalling in the second half was to "run time".

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I understand Butch made all kinds of errors in the way he handled the game. I don't deny that at all. But in the end, we were sitting on a lead late and failed to execute. The coaching is certainly the bigger problem going forward, but I can't just ignore the fact that we failed to make a play when we had the chance.

Also, florida's schedule in the west was more difficult than ours. They thumped an Ole Miss squad that controls its own destiny in the west and hung with an LSU squad that could be the best team in the country and certainly had the best back in the country.

I get what you guys are saying, but I just disagree. I believe we definitely had a shot and could have won it, but at 4-4 or whatever we are, I'm not gonna say we should have.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Based on what the east is this year, this team has the talent to win it with average coaching.