Huber Telescope

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 14, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Is this thing still working?

I recall it sending back some fantastic images a few years ago, but it’s been quiet since.

Is it still probing, or does anyone expect it to show more, anytime soon?

I think so, but am not sure.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I believe it is still in operation.

Tenacious D likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

huber? not familiar. Not Hubble?

Tenacious D likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

if Hubble, you can go to NASA.gov/mission_pages/hubble/main/index.html and see what it is looking at right now, any time. we live in a golden age of civil government transparency

Tenacious D likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

6. CardinalVol

My son LOVES all things NASA and space. Last night for 3rd grade end of year program he wore his NASA shirt to show what he wants to be when he grows up. I had totally forgotten how crazy and fun all this stuff is until he came along. Trying to introduce him to SpaceX, but for the time being it's just NASA.

Tenacious D likes this.
  7. Tenacious D

Here’s something that I’m embarrassed to admit...but what’s the point of SpaceX? It’s cool, I’m always for both rockets and private enterprise....but what has Elon said is the point of it all? I legit don’t know / don’t recall hearing.

8. Tenacious D

I miss Gary Larson.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  9. NorrisAlan

Innovation and eventually colonization of Mars. But mostly I think it was just a way to get the money out to people that might be more innovative than the dinosaurs at NASA.

10. CardinalVol

He wants Mars, Bezos wants the moon.

11. Tenacious D

I’m not being obtuse in asking this....but then what? So, we have a colony of a hundred people on Mars and the moon. Then what? People pay money to visit? How long would it take to recoup that enormous investment?

I’m clearly missing something.

It feels like some elaborate escape pod type shit for if we destroy the earth, tbh.

12. NorrisAlan

Exactly what it is. Colonizing Mars or even the Moon, but not as effective, removes a single point of extinction for the human race. Also, we have a drive to expand and colonize, and the Earth no longer has anywhere colonize.

13. Tenacious D

The depth of the ocean would like to have a word with you.

14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Part of it is NASA being slow, but a bigger part is the whiplash of constantly changing direction and funding by President and Congress. That being said, SLS is a boondoggle and should be killed ASAP.

15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

There's a seemingly limitless amount of resources in outer space. Similar to the people in the 1800's asking why business men were going to the West Coast to dig for gold and build railroads.

Tenacious D likes this.
  16. Tenacious D

See, that helps. It’s innovation, exploration, space travel, etc. - but these are just helpful byproducts of the process of building a sustainable means of escaping earth. It’s the ultimate galactic gated community, on an interstellar New-New Zealand for the super wealthiest people.

As neither myself nor anyone I care about fit that bill, I no longer give one shit about SpaceX, or any Somali efforts, and don’t understand how anyone else could, either.

17. Tenacious D

But then, I should also add that I’ve never been one to give a shit about space, planets, space travel, etc., and am no standard.

I’d gladly take two weeks in French Polynesia over two weeks in the ISS or even in a colony on Mars.

18. NorrisAlan

I doubt very seriously any wealthy people are going to go live on Mars. Just like you didn't see any Nobles moving to the New World. At least, not many of them. Let others take all the physical risks. And trust me, there are plenty of people lining up to volunteer for a one-way trip to Mars.

19. Tenacious D

Do you know what Mars most needs?

To import some freedom!!!!

U-S-A!
    U-S-A!
    U-S-A!

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Mars. Needs. Women.