I am jumping on the Charlie Strong bandwagon

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by 615 Vol, Nov 30, 2012.

1. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

...assuming Gruden does indeed fall through. I think Charlie is the next best choice and would be a big winner at UT. He took a piss poor Louisville team and has them going to a BCS bowl in his third season. True, he coaches against the Big East but doing so with a Big East team as well. I hope something happens with Gruden similar to Saban and Bama but Strong would be a solid choice and I'd take him all day over Jimbo, Golden, Gundy, Fedora or some of the other names being thrown around.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Gruden or bust.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Agree, and I am happy with any bandwagon that doesn't bring Jimbo Fisher to our fair city.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Well played

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Hubbs thinks a candidate is being interviewed at this very moment and that candidate is either Golden, Fedora or Strong, but very likely, Charlie Strong.

6. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Better hope he keeps Chaney and crew on the offensive side because his OC sucks. That Louisville scheme and play calling make Dan Mullen's O look like the Atlanta Falcons.

Gruden. All. Vol.

7. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

For real. Except the Butch Jones one. Butch Jones is about six notches behind Jimbo.

But of the names that have been floated, I'm Team Strong, with Fedora as 2nd choice. Unless we have a legit shot at Gundy. I'd take him.

8. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Gruden then Strong. **** Fisher or Golden.

9. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Gundy is okie st alum....it is like Bama offering majors Hart is a ****ing idiot.

10. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

If Golden is named the coach, I'm out. Same for Fisher. I can live with Strong. While he doesn't have much of a track record as a head man, he was with Urban at Florida during that run and knows what it takes to succeed in the SEC. I guess Fedora would be number three for me but honestly I haven't allowed myself to think that far down.

11. WM

WM Active Member

Honestly i think Strong is the best realistic candidate out there if the Gruden thing is dead.
    I'm high on Fedora but you have these coaches who have only been on the job for a year (Fedora, Mora, O'Brian) that aren't going to pull a Kiffin ironically. Looks like we encountered some more bad timing.

12. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Bad timing and UT? Never.

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

So, Hubbs has said that Strong interviewed today.

He also believes the Fedora interviewed today as well.

Strong is not a bad candidate...in fact, I think he could be a very good coach at UT....but how did we get here?

14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Jesus hates us.

15. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I'm a huge fan of bringing Charlie Strong. My other options would be Dave Doeren, Al Golden and Darrell Hazell. Want no part of Mora, Fedora, Gundy, Stoops, Fisher or Jones.

16. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Maybe this will play out like Rich Rod/Saban/Bama...The next head coach at UT will be Charlie Strong. Wait what? Nevermind that last announcement, the next head coach at UT will be John freakin Gruden.

If Gruden's demands that Haslam refuses to meet are the problem then lining up a legit alternative might just be the leverage needed to call John's hand if he is truly interested in coaching at UT.

17. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

With a heavy Hart

18. easlo58

easlo58 New Member

Which one of these back burner coaches has the best chance at great recruiting? You can win without great talent, but let's face it..depth and talent goes a long way in success. Just one more reason why we need Gruden.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Butch Jones may have a better record when he's favored than jimbo

20. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Has any coach,aside from Dooley, done less with more than Fisher at FSU? Imagine Butch Jones or any other coach at FSU and I have to believe they all would recruit and do as well or better than Jimbo has. FSU recruits itself. I hate the idea of Jimbo more than anyone, maybe even more than Petrino.