I don't care how unpopular this opinion is

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by emainvol, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I just wish chaney could learn what a lead iso run looked like

2. vol4eva

vol4eva New Member

Was laughable...I swear every time Thomas and Bullard pulled they looked like chickens with their heads cut off. They didn't engage anyone. That shits got to stop.

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Hiestand is the worst coach on a staff full of bad coaches.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ha yeah.

Darr is on him. Palardy was left here to him and he had some a lot more to worry about his first year here. Now, he's got a scholarship kicker coming in next year. If he sucks too, well, it's on Dooley.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Eh, Chaney had a hand in the Crompton revival and he had Bray, Hunter and Da'Rick humming along. His play calling can be stupid as hell, but he's watched his best players go down and go down quickly as soon as Tennessee played a team with a pulse.

Baggett is a good coach. Sirmon has shit for LBs and he's gotten the two freshmen ready pretty quickly. I hope Dooley isn't too patient with this staff.

6. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

With the exception of Hiestand and the offensive line, my problem with the coaching staff has more to do with schemes and play calling than it does with player development.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Oh, there are definitely a couple good ones, but Wilcox, Joseph, Hiestand, etc. are garbage. I am a big fan of Sirmon and Baggett and willing to let Dooley get better guys in there. He seriously needs to do something about the offensive playcalling you mentioned. It has been awful, and while I am willing to give Chaney some leeway considering the Hunter injury, I don't think that excuses the vast majority of the stupidity. As has been stated multiple times here, if the running game ain't working and the passing game is, utilize the passing game more than half the time. Of course, now that Bray is out that is not really an option.

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Oh, there are definitely a couple good ones, but Wilcox, Joseph, Hiestand, etc. are garbage. I am a big fan of Sirmon and Baggett and willing to let Dooley get better guys in there. However, he seriously needs to do something about the offensive playcalling you mentioned. It has been awful, and while I am willing to give Chaney some leeway considering the Hunter injury, I don't think that excuses the vast majority of the stupidity. As has been stated multiple times here, if the running game ain't working and the passing game is, utilize the passing game more than half the time. Of course, now that Bray is out that is not really an option.

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Bout all you can judge Chaney on is the first 4 or 5 games. He's not gonna call much the next 3 weeks that will work.

10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I think he will be okay in the long run, but you are absolutely correct

11. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I totally agree. I'm done watching Bullard whiff and Thomas' continued mediocrity. Might as well get those huge ugly Freshman out there making their mistakes with nothing much to lose because I'm sure they'll be out there come next September anyways.

12. VOLinDAWGland

I think Jury is still out on Wilcox. He doesn't have shit to work with, but I'm running out of patience with Harry and we should be able to upgrade Joseph.

13. VOLinDAWGland

I never figured this year would be much of anything. I predicted 7-5 assuming all of our talent would be playing with 8 as the absolute ceiling. Now I think we can make 6-6, get a bowl, extend the season with more practices and regroup for a much better schedule and more experience and development for 2012. If eggs continue to be laid in 2012 then heads should roll. If there's a better o-line coach option after this year we should get it.

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

We had enough to get 8 wins, 7 being a safe bet (beating 2 of UF, UGA, USC) we needed some good breaks but got some bad ones with injuries and some coaching deficiencies in a few spots held us back. After the injuries we will land around 6.

15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I respectfully disagree. He isn't good on the recruiting trail, and a defensive coordinator who had any clue what he was doing could adjust to things like the little pass to the running back in the flat. That's just the most glaring example. The second an offense that is worth a shit hits the field, he looks clueless, as does the entire defense. The defense isn't great by any stretch, but a good DC would at least have them look respectable.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

That said, I hope the [uck fay]er figures it out and proves me wrong.