I hate this one game wild card... ('14 playoff thread)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NYY, Oct 1, 2014.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Verses innings pitched?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think ERA with innings pitched is a far better way to judge a pitcher than wins/losses. Especially in the AL where the pitcher cannot even help himself at the plate (not that many do).

3. OrangeEmpire

I'm with you

:hi:

4. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

OR if you pitch for the Braves.

5. OrangeEmpire

Jack McDowell and Kevin Brown are perfect examples

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think wins for a starter still have some importance, not so much for a reliever. I've backed down on it some, but a 6 inning win still has a lot of weight for me. 7+ innings is gold.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Wins are certainly an imperfect stat, but that's why there's a gazillion other stats. Put it all together and you've got a nice picture of what's going on

8. OrangeEmpire

WHIP fan right here.

9. NorrisAlan

Two pitchers have the same line:
    7 IP 1 ER 5 H 1 BB 5 K

One guy gets two runs from his offense, the other guy gets zero. I don't see how the win stat matters at all.

10. CardinalVol

Essentially, because the goal is to win and if a starter pitches deep into games unless he has the luck on Clemens in 05, he's going to have a lot of wins.

It's also a stat that probably matters more over time than in the course of a game, week, or month. Win 75+ games in a 5 year period, you are a pretty dang good pitcher. Now, are there other stats that will probably back this claim up? Absolutely. I'm not saying it's the stat, but it's a nice summary stat for a starter IMO.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

with me it's like recruiting star rankings. don't use it for 1 game (or 1 guy with recruiting stars), use it big picture

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

WHIP to me is probably the greatest stat when I look at someone's efficiency to be able to determine how they're directly helping or hurting the club.

Wins/ERA as a whole are still the most important. But over a short term (even a season) they can be skewed.

13. NorrisAlan

Hm. Fair enough. I guess I was always irked because when Ryan was getting ready to be voted into the Hall, a many in the press were over stressing his near .500 winning percentage as a negative.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

There are examples like him that are exceptions to the rule. He struck out a metric shit ton of hitters. He also walked a shit ton. He also played on some teams that couldn't play dead in a western. Hard to look at his whole body of work in the same manner as others.

15. CardinalVol

You throw seven no-nos and everything else should just be overlooked.

16. NorrisAlan

With the advent of the five inning starter, 100 pitch count, 5 starter rotation, will wins still make a big splash? The 20 game winner is a freaking dinosaur these days.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

We've seen the end of a 300 game winner.

There's a few that could get there. After those, it's nada.

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

That's unheard of.

I never threw one in all my years of pitching. (5-23)

19. CardinalVol

20. NorrisAlan

My favorite pitcher of all time, even though he never played for the Cubs and was a ****ing Met at one time.

1) I got to see him pitch unlike earlier pitchers.
    2) He retired right as I quit watching baseball religiously.
    3) He came at you, said "hit this if you can" and threw it.
    4) And finally
    [​IMG]