I hate this one game wild card... ('14 playoff thread)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NYY, Oct 1, 2014.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Kershaw and King Felix?

2. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

the older gun fighter

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Yes.

If healthy and can adapt to a loss of velocity, Sabathia stands a chance. But with his weight issues its eventually going to take its toll.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

My coach in college said he got a base hit off of him in his first pro at bat in spring training. He said I was on cloud 9.

When he faced him in the regular season for the first time, Nolan hit him in the shoulder blades in his first at bat.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Kershaw stands a better chance than Felix IMO mainly because I think he's a little better (splitting hairs honestly) and Dodgers are making an effort to win. Seattle tries, they just don't have the resources of the Dodgers.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I agree.

Plus lefties, assuming healthy, stand a chance of throwing longer at an effective level.

7. CardinalVol

Not going to lie, if he stays healthy, he's got a legit chance to win 100 games in the next 5 seasons.

8. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I saw one ... both from my time playing and the whole time my son was playing. Had a kid from Missouri throw a perfect game against my son's 15u team in a Cobb County tournament in GA. I need to say, though, that it also took some help from our team to make this happen. Looked like every kid on our team was replaced by a Jeff Francouer clone.

9. CardinalVol

I watched one kid do it in LL. He also hit three home runs the same night. It was an impressive performance.

That's a lie, I saw 2. Saw a kid a year younger than me throw one in state tournament.

10. CardinalVol

I however, have already seen a triple play in 4-6 year old tee-ball this fall.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I think to my recollection I threw 6 one hitters. I was a pitch to contact guy. Threw a heavy ball. My first ever start in high school was a complete game. 53 pitches. 48 strikes.

One of those one hitters was the state championship back when Babe Ruth League was actually filled with talent and travel ball wasn't around. Only game I can look back on and remember every single pitch. Mine and the other guys.

12. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

We've turned several triple plays on my 8u softball team. Nobody ever expects my outfield to be able to catch line drives.

13. CardinalVol

It was our first game. Kid hit a liner to the pitcher, kid made a "look at what I found!" grab. Our boys had no idea, we had just told them to run when the ball was hit and listen to coaches. The coaches telling them to go back confused the heck out of them.

14. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

That's impressive ... I enjoy talking to pitchers, especially those that pitched beyond high school. One of the softball coaches I am with pitched in college and I swear he remembers every accomplishment and failure of his entire career.

15. CardinalVol

What year and age level?

16. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I know that scene ... you might as well start the three stooges sound effects when that happens. It's happened to me in the younger age groups.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

16. Would have been 98-99?

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

When we lived in CT, my wife took a trip to NY to watch the Yankees play. About half way through the game, the crowd is going nuts with every pitch. About the 7th inning, my wife and her friend are wondering what is going on, and my wife's friend says "I think he is throwing a no hitter." Her husband says "No Hitter? He is pitching a perfect game!"

That pitcher was David Cone. Yep. She was there. I hate her for it.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I remember the losses more than the wins. Only lost twice in college. Lost twice in high school but should have been 4. Got bailed out on some shitty days.

20. CardinalVol

Nevermind. Lexington never hosted above 15. Wondered if you might have pitched there one year. Seems like we played Mo-town every year.