I like Dooley

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by countvolcula, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

While 7 or 8 wins will on paper show improvement.

9 or 10 is where he should be.

2. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Stay on topic. We are discussing the construction of the future SEC empire based on nothing but speculation and internet rumor...IT MATTERS!!!

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

If we move to 16, the pod system is way better than two eight-team divisions. At that point, you're not a conference. You're two conferences with a scheduling agreement. Just because the 90s superWAC arranged them in the most idiotic way possible doesn't mean that the pod system will necessarily fail.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

If we move to 16, the pod system is way better than two eight-team divisions. At that point, you're not a conference. You're two conferences with a scheduling agreement. Just because the 90s superWAC arranged them in the most idiotic way possible doesn't mean that the pod system will necessarily fail.

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Looks like ya'll have that covered well. I have nothing to add.

Guess I will just post pad like OE and be on my merry....

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

100% agreed, IPO.

And Slive (or whomever warms the Cap'n's Chair of the SEC DeathStar) would tell the Governor of Florida to get bent, and you know what? S/he would do so, and while smiling.

And as to JewB's point on the TN-Bama game ever going away, I agree that it is (technically) possible. However, it would only cease to occur if Jesus (or the deity of your choice: Yahweh / Buddha / Steven Colbert / Richard Dawkins / Stephen Gould / Oprah) called us all up to heaven (or insert the afterlife destination of your choice: Valhalla, eternal blackness, etc.) and refused to allow Bear Bryant to get a weekend pass from hell to coach the game. Short of that apocalyptic scenario, or either school simply failing to field a team, that series will continue - both uninterrupted and toward infinity. Zero percent chance that game ever goes away. Ever.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I agree, IP.

There is a gentlemanly agreement (though definitive and widely known) "voting block" in the SEC that would effectively block the entrance of any schools lying too close to an existing member.

For example: FL would never (read: NEVER) vote to allow either FSU or Miami to enter the SEC, but they alone could not block it, as they are only one vote (their "power" at the conference level is wildly overestimated, for the record.....they are an important and lucrative member to be sure, but to many of their peers, they are widely regarded as little more than the nouveau riche of the conference). But GA, KY, SC, LSU, TN, VAN, tAm, Mizz, would quickly follow suit to join FL, and collectively, would easily prevent the attainment of the 75% (8 of 12) of required votes for membership.

Why would these schools care to block their admittance? Because they would expect (and have long-since agreed) that FL would do the same to block similar applications from their rival schools, in return, such as: Clemson (SC), GA Tech (UGA), Tulane (LSU), VT / Memphis (TN, Vandy), Louisville (KY), Baylor / TX / TXTech (aTm), Kansas / K-State (Mizz).

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

well put. I don't know how i would function if we didn't play Bama every year...