I still think Milton sucks

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by DeonG, Jan 6, 2023.

1. DeonG

DeonG Active Member

I don't like our upside with him at the helm. He's just not accurate. And if you aren't accurate as a QB, you suck as a QB.

2. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

3. DeonG

DeonG Active Member

Just my opinion.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He’s no Hooker and won’t be. But if Hooker 22 is the standard then we are going to be disappointed a lot. You have to feel better about him after the bowl. I think he will be good enough to win 9-10.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

If he can throw for 300+ with 3 tds and 68% with no turnovers, like he did against top 10 Clemson with weeks to prepare, I’ll take it.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

His footwork was light-years better than the candy game, too

7. Ssmiff

it sure was. And he scanned the field along with the footwork. His pump fake TD on skinny post was a great read and throw. As in elite read and throw.

warhammer likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I called my shot before the bowl game. I believe he can be the guy.

9. juicemane

juicemane Member

I thought he was plenty accurate in the bowl game. He missed a few but Hooker missed a few every game too.

I think he’s elite on the intermediate throws in the middle of the field. Not gonna hit as many deep balls down the sidelines as hooker and not as good of a scrambler. I do expect our screen game to improve because I think Milton will get the ball to the outside quicker.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Bout threw his shoulder out of socket. It was a beaut.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

At least in the bowl game, it was things other than throwing that put a ceiling on him for me. He just doesn’t seem to me to have as good a feel on pressure and what to do if he’s got to improvise. But if he can keep it at that level he’s going to bridge the gap to the next guy just fine

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

His bowl game performance was really good. I still have reservations about him but I feel a lot better now than I did before Vandy.

13. Ssmiff

He’s no Hooker. Think we were all in shock with what Hooker did after watching Guarantano. Too shocked to understand how ridiculous he was. Fan expectations for Milton will be crazy.

Memtownvol likes this.
  14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

He’s also just such a physical freak and he’s going to tease you with it

justingroves likes this.
  15. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

He still doesn’t have an amazing feel for the pressure, but there was one play in the first half where he felt pressure from the left, shuffled a step to the right while staying in the pocket, and fired a stroke for a first down in the middle of the field. That’s something we didn’t really see him do last year.

I actually don’t have a ton of problem with his accuracy on anything under 20 yards, it’s the way he moves in the pocket and his split-second decisions that are IMO the toughest fix.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

If he develops an internal alarm for when to scramble, he's going to put up video game numbers. I am not a positive person. I am not a sunshine pumper. I am not a person of faith in any way. This is reality. If he can throw it 70 yards, but also get a feel for when to lower his 250 lb frame and run down field, he's a monster. Will he? Well I don't know. But there has been progress occurring since early 2021. And now again from November to the end of December.

Hooker was special. He might end up being special too.

17. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Hopefully doesn't have to be. With an improving running game and even marginally better defense on the back end he'll be fine. He's shown improved accuracy, particularly on the deep throws, which will force safeties to honor that which will open up the running game. He probably won't be as efficient, but he's shown he can be lethal.

A-Smith and IP like this.
  18. Ssmiff

I know what you are talking about TV. He slid around the pocket just missing pressure so he felt it. Footwork and shoulder movement on that particular play is what NFL will see.

19. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

He also did that on the TD throw to Bru. Stepped right out of pressure and flicked a dart that hit bullseye. Impressive.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I would also point out, carefully, that Hooker wasn't always perfect either. Pitt, UGA, and South Carolina were all games where he was not as sharp as usual. Sample size matters. With more games time Milton, may also get into a rhythm and have huge games that make you forget about the games where he looks fairly pedestrian. And if the offense is running correctly, it is the rushing attack that really blows things open in most of the good performances anyway. This offense may not take a step back. There are plenty of possible paths where it does not. I'd say the quality of the offensive line play is more critical than Milton duplicating Hooker's play.

VOLinDAWGland and Tar Volon like this.