I still think Milton sucks

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by DeonG, Jan 6, 2023.

1. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

If anything, that Orange bowl win is going to give Milton some much needed confidence moving forward. Could be what's needed to get everything to click for him.

Memtownvol likes this.
  2. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

The sky is the limit. He should continue to improve on the finer points, I just hope Heupel builds everything off his skill set and just presses the hell out of his advantage, and I have no reason to believe he won’t.

I thought it was cool to see Milton’s increased aggression as a runner. They need to have a heavy package where you know if it’s 3 yards or less you’re gonna get it no matter what.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Milton can physically do things the overwhelming majority of football players can't do. I'm all for running him more on designed plays.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He really needs to grasp that he's a freak when he runs the ball and defenders are more scared of him than he is of them.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

After watching some of his runs, looks to me like he knows defenders will go low and he’s kindof running in prep for a shot at the legs when he’s out of the pocket.

A-Smith likes this.
  6. HCKevinSteele

No doubt. He’s managed to get low a few times and punish them for it though. If he can continue to do that people will make half hearted attempts at arm tackles the same way they did with Leonard Fournette or Derrick Henry.

In my mind him being a willing runner next year is key to the team’s success, it can be the thing that makes up for some of his weaknesses as a passer.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm not sure he will ever be a great runner. He has all of the physical tools to do it, but his feel and vision just seem to be lacking. More designed runs should help, but it's hard to say how much. Either way, just some success with him running the ball should be enough to make defenses account for him whether he's great at it or not. I don't think he's ever going to be a run first guy, but so long as he makes good reads and stays accurate, running enough to keep defenses account for doing it should make it all work.

8. HCKevinSteele

It seemed to me that he showed a lot more feel and assertiveness when running than he did last year. I don’t think soft as baby shit would be too harsh in describing how he ran last year. Another step forward from where he was at the end of this year and they might be cooking with peanut oil.

But I don’t even really think designed runs are necessary other than QB power in a heavy package to pick up first downs in short yardage. I don’t think he needs to be terribly productive in terms of yardage or anything, just need him to be aware enough to tuck it and bolt straight to open field when things break down. Corners and the smaller linebackers these days will not want to tackle him late in games when they’ve already gone 60+ snaps.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  9. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

He could be our Tim Tebow with a better arm.

10. VOLinDAWGland

That photo of him stiff arming the Clemson defender to the ground was sweet. More of that please.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

vs Clempson - 19 of 28, 251 yards, 3 TD's

What does accuracy look like?

13. VOLinDAWGland

Oh, oh, oh I know this one, 68%

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

There were a couple where he made the throw, the DB, just made the play. There was one I specifically remember to Keyton that was beautiful, the corner just made a heckuva play.

IP likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

What does Milton's yards per completion look like? You can throw 70% and still be looking at 4th downs if you aren't throwing down the field much.

HCKevinSteele and NorrisAlan like this.
  16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Is that Woodass too?

17. HCKevinSteele

You joke, but I was curious so I checked. If you take just the SC, Vandy and Clemson games, Milton's Y/A and AY/A would have ranked #23 and #3 among FBS quarterbacks this year. And obviously that is an unfavorable comparison in terms of sample size because that doesn't include cupcakes/garbage time, and the other QB's on the list are obviously to some extent benefitting from beating up on weaker competition.

Edit: Just for some sunshine pumping fun...looking at his full stats for the year. Y/A and passer rating would be second best all time. AY/A would be the best ever by a wide margin. Joe Milton for heisman 2022.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
    utvol0427 likes this.
  18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

He was brought down 1 time by what seemed like a 150 lb safety hanging around his neck. I was screaming, "Just pick him up and keep running Joe!"

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Reads like you've seen the younger Clausen play.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He can be a serious Heisman candidate, everyone is going to be talking about his arm and he's going to complete multiple ridiculous bombs. Let him gain 40 yards a game on the ground to go with that, hell let him be the short yardage back, he'll be a media darling