I still think Milton sucks

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by DeonG, Jan 6, 2023.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This. I know he is not afraid of contact but he just looks awkward when running. Its like he is always worried about getting hit from behind. Guy just needs to plow ahead and run guys over until he can't.

CardinalVol and VolDad like this.
  2. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

This is where I am as well.

3. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I’m hanging my hat on the fact that with these coaches players improve. So, physical skills, more time, good coaching, a dose of confidence suggest he will do fine. He isn’t smooth yet but I credit him for sticking with it and waiting his turn. If we can get Hooker drafted then Milton, that would be a really nice rep

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I wasn't joking, that is exactly what I expected.

5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

He’ll probably have us kicking ourselves a few times next year.

But I lived through JG, Maurer, Shrout, Dormady, Peterman, Worley, Simms, Crompton, Stephens, and so on…so I know what “sucks” looks like, and Milton ain’t that.

6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

A senior year progression like we saw from Crompton with Milton next year would be swell. By October in 2009 Crompton actually did not totally suck. Which is a testament to Kiffin helping him out as much as he possibly could that year. I have a feeling JH is just as good-if not an outright superior-QB whisperer as Kiffin.

7. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

It’s only going to be one year no matter what. Not worth losing sleep over, imo

justingroves likes this.
  8. atlvol1

atlvol1 Member

19/28 plus Keyton had what felt like half a dozen drops. Completion percentage should've been even higher.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just thinking about this stupid thread and Milton having 10 TDs and zero ints on the season.

InVolNerable and NorrisAlan like this.
  10. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Or Georgia and Alabama having to defend 70 yards downfield next fall

Poppa T, IP, Memtownvol and 2 others like this.
  11. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

But Claaaay, that was mop up play against scrubs in blowouts.

Orange Bowl against top 10 defense.

Nevermind

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The no interceptions thing has to be 5-D chess on Heupel's part. Milton and Hooker deserve credit, but Heup's gotta be calling plays in away that specifically avoids interception risks.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I think that's a big part of it. Receivers running their routes and getting wide open is another part. Even with that, Milton stuck the ball in a window or two during the bowl game that was impressive.

14. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

By the second half, it looked to me that Milton was the most comfortable I've ever seen him back there. He wasn't standing like a statue, had a bounce and was sliding up and around the pocket. I really think something clicked mentally for him during that game.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

In Milton's case, he throws so hard that anything short is hard to grab unless you are really ready for it and otherwise you have to be 50 or 60 yards down field and in position to pick it. Ya, scheme is clearly some kind of factor but he has had defenders get their hands on his passes this season and it ricochets.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Intercepting a pass is generally really hard to do. Defenders are just in a different mental place

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Most ints appear to come off bad reads or overthrowing across the middle with safeties waiting on it.

Memtownvol likes this.
  18. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Heupel had a quote regarding HH's low INT stats essentially saying if anything it was too low because it signified to him we aren't attacking defenses as aggressively as he thinks we ideally should. Next year if Milton forces up a jump ball 65 yards downfield on 3rd and long that results in an occasional INT it's not exactly the end of the world. Hell, might even give us better field position than a punt would given his bazooka arm.

Just don't be stupid with your decisions when throwing picks is all I ask of my QBs.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Or tipped

20. DeonG

DeonG Active Member

The throwing 70 yards thing is just a massive red herring. There have been soooo many terrible QBs that people talked themselves into because they could throw the ball a mile.

justingroves likes this.