I Think Cal Has a Chance Against USC

Discussion in 'Cal Bears' started by kidbourbon, Nov 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Call me crazy.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Anything is possible I guess, but. . .

1) the entire team has been intimidated by sc for at least a decade. You have no idea how deep this runs. Even a close game would be a miraculous turnaround from the prior 6 years.

2) smith and agholor will absolutely shred Cal's small and slow secondary

3) Cal's special teams are terrible. Gave up 2 punt returns Tds to agholor last year

4) Williams will reek havoc on Cal's oline.

If cal can avoid shitting the bed in the first half I think we can cover the spread. Go down by a couple of scores early and I don't know if we will be emotionally capable of coming back. A victory is pretty unlikely. I do think cal scores plenty against sc, but I'd be shocked to not see a ton of huge plays against Cal's secondary with those wrs. The over is probably the best bet.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  3. kidbourbon

I think spread coverage is likely and a win is possible. I like Cal this year a lot more than you do.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

We haven't beaten anyone who is non terrible. We have a good qb and that will get you far, but we have a long history of getting clownstomped and intimidated by even mediocre usc teams. The last 6 meetings the lowest margin of victory by usc is 18 points and that game was over in the first quarter and only got that close in garbage time. It's also just a bad matchup. We have no pass Rush and their wrers are literally uncoverable by our dbs.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Cal's offense is good enough that if the other team's doesn't execute well, they have a chance.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yes. I knew we had no chance against oregon because our d had no prayer of defending a duel threat qb. Usc is probably better then their record, but has played down to their competition. They almost certainly won't be up for the game given how we've laid down for them in the past. If we can keep it close by halftime we'll have a legit shot of winning since their d has worn down in every game and we run a hurry up offense. I'll know within the first 2 or 3 drives by both team if we have a chance. Our team has a long history of being intimidated by playing usc. That's hard to break. Even the comments by the players show they are very aware of this. If we play tight, the crowd gets going, and usc scores at will early, the game will be over by the first quarter. Also I'm going which means we will lose

7. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Gotta hope for a shootout and multiple turnovers

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

exactly and Kessler doesn't turn it over. USC's pass D isn't great. if we can protect goff, we have a chance to score. avoid giving up special teams TDs, protect the ball, and keep it close enough that we are close enough to have a chance to win once we wear their thin D down by the end. That's what everyone who has beaten them has done.

9. kidbourbon

Yeah, I really like Cal's QB.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Hope droski called in sick tomorrow because he his probably already drowning his sorrows.

Of course, I think he is his own boss so...

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Good game so far.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It makes me feel old that Hardy Nickerson has a son in college

13. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Sweet fake punt

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Worst fake punt I've ever seen.

Most misleading final score too