I Think We Need to "Prepare" for a 10 Win Season Next Year

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Unimane, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

....because I am increasingly thinking it's going to happen. And, while I am happy to have a winning team, I also think it means we need to be concerned about its ramifications.

On the first idea, it appears, to me, that we are going to be entirely too talented and the schedule too weak to win anything less than 8 games, as we did this year, relatively easily. And, while we can usually count upon the coaching staff to be a net negative, they were close enough, due to talent, in a number of games we lost this year to get lucky a time or two. That could result in ending up at 10-2 next year.

Now, the problem with this is evident. The VolNation types will go ape shit and Butch may end up with a 10 year extension, additional $8 million buyout and replace Volunteer Drive with Butch Jones Cliché Way. More importantly, I think we are stuck with one year's worth of fool's gold that Jones parlays into something more permanent as this "4 year process" becomes etched into the minds of every yokel when he, inevitably, struggles the next half decade or so.

In other words, depressingly, I think we are headed for a Pyrrhic victory with next season's team. It's too talented not to win and the coaching staff too bad to capitalize upon it.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Win the SEC and I will eat my words. And my hat.

But I do think he will be here as long as he wants or until the talent slips him back to 7-5/6-6 years.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think there is a comet coming in 15 or 20 years, so we have that to look forward to.

4. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Stay tuned. You don't have to worry about hitting 10 next year.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

srsly? transfers? involuntary departures?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't tease me, bro.

7. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

don't toy with my emotions Smokey.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

the implied "news" is what intrigues me. If he simply believes this staff to be idiotic and incapable of winning 10 regardless of the talent, then there is no news.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Was thinking this exact thing yesterday. We are better than every opponent on our schedule not named Bama.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

this was true of 2015.

11. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

A great deal depends on whom the three hire and I think you underestimate the schedule. Which 8-10 do you see winning or should I rephrase and ask which two do you see losing?

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And we should be able to hang with Bama. I refuse to put it in the L column anymore at the start of the season. We have too much talent.

of course, with this bunch on the sidelines, I expect 9-3 and "progress" next year.

13. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yep, where I'm at until shown otherwise

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, if the "stay tuned" is with regards to Butch Jones just losing a bunch of games he shouldn't for no reason next year, I'd rather tune out.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

unless the young OL fail to develop at all, we should be very tight with AL on talent. Defensive back 7 would be the main difference, but we should be pretty solid there and they haven't been awesome. If Bates can play, we should have very, very good LBs.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You know we disagree, and I have no desire to get back into that.

Regardless, if nothing else, the margin next year will be significantly larger.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Just tell us already.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't mind disagreeing. We have a better football team than UF. We have a better team than OU. We definitely have a better team than Arky. They are all way better coached.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't get this. You think the hire of 3 assistants is going to change something without canning the coordinators?

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Better than OU? Seriously?